Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fishing Research in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ReyT wrote:
Dear Forumites,

Perhaps this is an opportunity to wish all of you a prosperous new year.

In relation to a post by GML Smit of AIKONA, please allow me to impress upon you that it does not matter how many times SANParks tries to explain its actions, the likes of GML Smit and his cronies will not in any way agree. It is for this reason that I would still expect that this like many other explanations will be shot down by GML Smit. I am of a view that GML Smit has no regard of SANParks and its management as you can see in his write-up where he refers to SANParks as ‘They’ as if he is referring to some objects or people that cannot be regarded as human beings. That as it may, SANParks will still provide a response to GML Smit of AIKONA.

It should be noted that the SANParks Honorary Rangers (HR) make a huge and POSITIVE contribution towards conservation in our various national parks and because of this tremendous support received from the HRs, SANParks does provide opportunities for HR’s to enjoy Kruger and other national parks in a special way without compromising the conservation mandate of the organisation. It is for this reason that I urge GML Smit to understand that all activities are approved after a thorough assessment.

With reference to the event in question, please take note that the data of the catch-and-release fishing day is still being analysed and is not available as yet. Once it has been processed it will form part of Kruger National Park’s database on fish species and their distribution. Furthermore please note that this fund raising event generated R30 800.00 and these funds were used to construct the dog kennels at Phalaborwa (see attached photo), that is part of the anti-rhino poaching effort.

The HRs support SANParks in two major areas namely, performing duties over weekends, and raising funds. Their total contribution to SANParks was R44 million during the previous financial year. Perhaps we will need to challenge GML Smit and AIKONA to better any contribution that the HR’s have made towards SANParks or cease their grand stand shouting.

Lastly KNP and many other national parks are a hallmark for conservation, and also a place to be enjoyed by the public, the staff as well as those that support the national parks such as the HR’s.

Best regards,
Reynold "Rey" Thakhuli
Acting Head of Communications
South African National Parks, Groenkloof, Tshwane/Pretoria
Tel: +27 (0) 12 426 5170 Fax: +27 (0) 12 343 0153
Mobile: +27 (0) 73 373 4999 e-mail: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org
Go Wild! Off the best beaten natures tracks of Africa!
"The best way to get young people to understand and have respect for the environment in conservation areas is to start by making positive and visible changes in the environments where they live." - Dr David Mabunda, Chief Executive, SANParks.
Vision statement: ‘SANParks connecting to society’

This statement in bold is absolutely unprofessional and unworthy of a person in a position of 'Acting Head of Communications' of Sanparks. Anyone who engages with members of the public and indeed clients of their own organisation in a position such as this must have the professionalism to deal with any and all criticism and enquiry with courtesy and decorum. This statement is unbecoming and an embarrassment to Sanparks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Agreed 3 dogs.

While the frustration level of being questioned often can be sometimes make one angry, this high handed response is typical of those with something to hide.

This crass release is thoughtless at best and SANP needs to apologise to GLM Smit and his cronies.

I get the feeling that "GML Smit and his cronies" of whom I am (not officially) one, are are on the same side as SANP, but it is not seen as such.

I applaud HRs, and I understand that they deserve "to enjoy Kruger and other national parks in a special way", and I am sure they do, Sand River camp a case in point, but fishing in Kruger dams and (the aborted) cycling down the Nossob riverbed don't sit well with me.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm 

Disgusting, If it was any forum member other than a sanparks spokesman they would be banned or warned and the post deleted. :( :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

I think once again a wrong impression is created that SANParks is angry at being questioned. SANParks is a public entity therefore it is expected that members of the public will advance enquiries at all times, which SANParks has never refused to respond to as we have done with GML Smit's post, now creating an impression that the response is unprofessional is tantamount to nothing but an insult to me and the organisation. It is a fact that GML Smit has never been in support of anything done by SANParks, this is not a secret.

We have open ourselves to GML Smit and his cronies at AIKONA many times and as a consequence of this we are the ones that have to bare the brand of being refered to as 'They' as that not an insult? I challenge you to make a meaningful contribution rather than shouting insults.

Best regards,
Reynold "Rey" Thakhuli
Acting Head of Communications
South African National Parks, Groenkloof, Tshwane/Pretoria
Tel: +27 (0) 12 426 5170 Fax: +27 (0) 12 343 0153
Mobile: +27 (0) 73 373 4999 e-mail: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org
Go Wild! Off the best beaten natures tracks of Africa!
"The best way to get young people to understand and have respect for the environment in conservation areas is to start by making positive and visible changes in the environments where they live." - Dr David Mabunda, Chief Executive, SANParks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I now ask the question is this a personal attack on me and my cronies?

I also ask are the posts by ReyT as per the the forum rules?

I request that none of these posts be amended or removed.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:24 pm 

gmlsmit .Mine was already deleted by the mode but I have a copy for you if need be as I asked the question under rule 11

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=37&t=19953

Last edited by PRWIN on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 pm 

ReyT, SANParks senior management are fast losing credibility with the general public, and posts such as yours above aids to the destruction your your credibility.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:38 pm 

SANParks has responded to the questions posed in this topic, it is now locked.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Fishing in Lake Panic
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Thank you for the reply ReyT

If I am understanding this correctly one can fish recreationally in the rivers of Kruger providing you are SANParks employee living in Kruger and you have a permit.

I was not talking about the Backpackers Trail but the Olifants Wilderness trail and from back in the day :wink:

My questions about the the fishing dressed as research (I have not seen the proposal for the research who approved it, the environmental management plan, etc) remains as that is contradictory to your answer above. That fishing was in a man made dam, The Reenvoel Dam and was catch and release :? Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thank you Sharifa for your further engagement and please accept my apology for a time lack in responding to your questions. I am responding between many of my responsibilities.

As indicated yes SANParks employees residing in the KNP and are in possession of a valid permit may fish as prescribed in the policy for Consumptive and Non-Consumptive use (catch-and-release) fishing. I am of a view that you are assumming that there is "fishing dressed as research", as I can not find fact from what you are insinuating. This tells me that you are accussing SANParks of engaging in illegal fishing activities and not for research purposes. The fact is fishing is regulated as indicated above. I would like to invite you to present authorities with facts relating to "Fishing dressed as research", so that whoever is committing this hineous crime can be dealt with acccordingly.

I must emphasise that for obvious reasons you would not be in a position of seeing proposals or approvals to this effect as a non participant in the process, let alone a member of staff. Certain documents are for internal purposes and not for public consumption. It would however prove difficult to allow comment from the public on every aspect of our job.

SANParks prides itself with cutting-edge research and therefore will not be engaging in any project without proper permission or sanctioning. With reference to the Reenvoel Dam, I can confirm that this was on a catch-and-release basis. The event was sanctioned through proper channels and authorisation from the local Section Ranger was given. Reference can also be made from the Policy (Please see underlined sentence):

b) Non-Consumptive: (catch-and-release) fishing: This is the only kind of fishing that will be allowed in rivers where there is no manmade structures such as dams. This kind of fishing allows angling along certain river sections of the Park and only on a catch-and-release basis. No fish may be killed for bait or any other form of consumptive use. Only hooks from which the barbs have been removed or flattened may be used..

Please take note that I am referring to the present day policy, therefore your reference to "back in the day" policy does not apply as policies are revised with time.

Thank you for your indulgence on the matter. I trust this response will be understood.

Kind Regards,

ReyT

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you for your reply ReyT.

It seems we are talking about different events :? .

I am talking about the event below.

I heard of another event at Reenvoel Dam but that is hearsay, unless you are confirming there was another event there too.

Correct me again, if I am wrong. Reenvoel Dam is an earthen dam that was built in 1981. So that makes it an artificial dam, and as per your reply to me above, catch and rlease can only take place in rivers :?

Quote:
b) Non-Consumptive: (catch-and-release) fishing: This is the only kind of fishing that will be allowed in rivers where there is no manmade structures such as dams. This kind of fishing allows angling along certain river sections of the Park and only on a catch-and-release basis. No fish may be killed for bait or any other form of consumptive use. Only hooks from which the barbs have been removed or flattened may be used..

Based on the information available I question the authencity of this research. Fair enough, you do not have to supply the information I requested in the "new rule thread" but then you cannot change my view.

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm 

Dear Sharifa

Sharifa wrote:
My questions about the the fishing dressed as research (I have not seen the proposal for the research who approved it, the environmental management plan, etc) remains as that is contradictory to your answer above. That fishing was in a man made dam, The Reenvoel Dam and was catch and release :? Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something

ReyT wrote:
I am of a view that you are assumming that there is "fishing dressed as research", as I can not find fact from what you are insinuating. This tells me that you are accussing SANParks of engaging in illegal fishing activities and not for research purposes. The fact is fishing is regulated as indicated above. I would like to invite you to present authorities with facts relating to "Fishing dressed as research", so that whoever is committing this hineous crime can be dealt with acccordingly.

The moderators ask that they also be informed when these facts are presented - this can be done through SANParks (ReyT).

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:34 pm 

Sharifa wrote:
Correct me again, if I am wrong. Reenvoel Dam is an earthen dam that was built in 1981. So that makes it an artificial dam, and as per your reply to me above, catch and rlease can only take place in rivers :?

Quote:

Based on the information available I question the authencity of this research. Fair enough, you do not have to supply the information I requested in the "new rule thread" but then you cannot change my view.

Trying to assist here with the confusion. Refer to my bold in the above quotes. Catch-and-Release is the only type of fishing allowed in rivers. I do not see that it says it is restricted to rivers only?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi DinkyBird, have you read my post before yours.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks DinkyBird, with you now. So what I am asking, is for the research related to the HR event:

1. Was there an environmental management plan (EMP) in place. We had 20 teams of 4 people, 80 people in a pristine area. Now if I am not too trusting it is because there was no EMP in place for another event organized by the HRs. I was a HR at the time and I did not even know about the event.

2. Was there a proposal for this research

3. What was the scope and objective of this research.

4. Why was such a harsh method of hooking fish used for this research, why not netting

5. What are the findings of the research

6. What are the conclusions and recommendations.

Last edited by Sharifa on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next