Skip to Content

Restaurant at Golden Gate Hotel

A place to share our common humanity, a place where you know you're not alone, a place to recognize and congratulate one another.
andycapepoint

Restaurant at Golden Gate Hotel

Unread postby andycapepoint » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:03 pm

We're currently staying at the Golden Gate Hotel in the self catering chalets. We booked for dinner at the hotel the other evening and was disappointed to hear that it was a buffet rather than a la carte. I'm not a big fan of buffets but I couldn't have been more wrong about this one.

They have a chef who really knows what he's doing and the selection of dishes was original and appetising. I'll give you some examples, Three Bean Salad in a Coronation dressing, Watermelon and Cucumber salad with mint and Cous cous with Citrus were just some of the starters. My favorite vegetable dishes were Saute Potatoes, green beans and red onion and a pasta and asparagus dish. The asparagus was cooked al dente. And the desserts, wow! We had a strawberry mousse with strawberry puree and fresh cream, a mille feuille with thick dark chocolate fondant and a chocolate and walnut gateau to die for! We're vegetarian so I can't comment on the meat dishes.

I can't help but contrast the quality and selection of food available here with the various restaurants run by Compass Catering when we visited Kruger last year. There was just no comparison.

No doubt at some point the chef will be told to trim his margins and not use so many fresh quality ingredients but I hope to come back and try his handiwork again before that happens!

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Restaurant at Golden Gate Hotel

Unread postby bert » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks Andy
will share your compliment with SANparks

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Restaurant at Golden Gate Hotel

Unread postby Son godin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm

If its camping or staying at the hotel we always try out the restaurant. It was always good in the past for both breakfast and dinner and great to read the service and food still great. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Return to “Under the Ubuntu Tree”