Skip to Content

Good denning season - wild dog numbers looking good!

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Unusual Wild dog sighting

Unread postby t-bal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 am

Hi K-4S
We spoke to a ranger at Olifants last July about wild dogs. He told us that there is a pack of wild dogs in the area. However they are very seldom seen because of the vast landscape and limited roads in the Olifants area. In fact he had only seem them twice, and one of them sightings was from the restaurant overlooking the river.
I believe you had an extremely rare and amazing sighting.

Hi Yoda
Wild dogs eat their prey (nearly) alive. However elephants have really though skin so it would be extremely difficult for them to take chunks out of this poor running calf.
It seems very unlikely but it might be possible if they exhaust the calf enough.
TR: " The return of the Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Unusual Wild dog sighting

Unread postby RemiE » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:34 am

Between Christmas Day and New Year’s a pack of Wild Dogs was spotted on the H1-4 just after the S89 close to the Ngotso river.

Looking at the vast wilderness areas without public roads in that area I would say you were extremely lucky
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Good denning season - wild dog numbers looking good!

Unread postby PietSkiet » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi K-4S,
We had a wonderful sighting of the pack in question back in August 2010. If I remember correctly there were 6 dogs together. The sighting was on the S90 close to the Balule turnoff.
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 pm

We saw a small pack at the end of November last year when we were based at Olifants - usually between the high water bridge and the turning for the Ngotso weir road. I know several others saw them around the same time.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi All, just back from an amazing summer visit to Kruger, especially wild dog sightings...
Pack of about 21? wild dogs at 4:40 about 3 km from Croc Bridge for 30 min on our own, then 3 cars for another 30 min before they ran off...
Next morning at 6:00 same pack (18 dogs now) on S25 about 15 km down the road... lovely sighting with 6 other cars for about 15 minutes before they ran off into the bush
Same pack again at 17h00 hours on S25, closer to Croc Bridge...
Went out again next morning but got lazy, and turned around (5km before other people found them!)...
Travelled to Tamboti, and found pack of 11 lying and playing in the road just after Nkaya pan... Missed out on the Orpen pack of 30+ that others were seeing every day...
First day at about 5:30 near Skukuza had 12 wild dogs in the road about 2 km from camp...
Same day at 16h00 found same pack of 12 dogs close to high level bridge and sat with them till they got up and played...
Too lazy next day to look for them on same road but predicted they would be found other side of the bridge, and so it was...
Was told twice of wild dogs about 2-10 km from us, once on s121, but rather stayed to watch mating lions, and once on H3 towards Jock of the Bushveld...
Pretoriuskop -- 4:50 found 7 wild dogs running on S3. Half an hour with them, only 2 other cars arrived...
Next day, same pack at 5:30 on Numbi road and down towards loop/Fayi road...
Didn't look too hard for them next day, but other found them on same loop...
Still quite a few more chances of seeing dogs near Afsaal, but didn't bother to look for them even though we were told they were at Afsaal...
Total sightings: 105 wild dogs.... So December 2015 was the year of the wild dogs for us! Even got to know certain individuals, and chatted to them in Afrikaans as they stood and looked at me... lol.
New things I noticed: wild dogs make the stinkest poo I have ever smelt in my life...
Wild dogs love to pee in puddles of water after rain... and then the others come and lap and smell the water too...
When wild dogs wake up and get frienzied, there is so much electricity that some get bitten and have bloody faces, while others jump over each other and defecate and urinate while airborne... (only found that out from photos, lol)
Wild dogs love to jump high into trees and snatch a tuft of leaves, or do the same with the long elephant grass near Pretoriuskop... maybe to leave their scent...?
Some wild dogs were ugly, dirty, smelly (Satara) ... others were far more colourful and beautiful (Skukuza/Croc Bridge)...
I can't fathom what triggers their hunting instinct -- the Skukuza pack were sleeping (still quite alert) while a herd of impala were grazing no more than 50m away from them, quite relaxed!
Twice (Croc Bridge/Pretoriuskop) the pack were running in the road, and flushed impala (once a single male, another time a whole herd of mature impala)... they looked at the alpha female (collared), but she ignored the animals (no lambs?); yet at other times, the slightest movement triggered serious reactions of racing to a rock and trying to dig something out, or racing off into the bush...
I have gotten to really like painted dogs (don't want to see them hunt)!
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten
ps. 11 cheetahs, 14 leopards... 10 new jumping spiders... lol. summer = good for predators!
To see a few pics: Friedrich von Horsten Photography on Facebook.
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi Friederich. Must have been amazing sightings!

Please send your photos in to the SANParks Honorary Rangers and EWT Wild dog census!

http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/dogcensus
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:54 am

Hi Imberbe, have so many pics -- I suppose they would need to be downsized for easier use by ewt..
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

ekoppen
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ekoppen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 pm

[color=#004000][b]Here's our sightings

*****2015*****
Skukuza Oct 30,31 Nov 1,2
Orpen Nov 3
Letaba Nov 6,7,8
Oliphants Nov 9,10
Satara Nov 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27
Lower Sabi Nov 27,28,29
Crocodile Bridge Nov 30 Dec 1

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”