Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good denning season - wild dog numbers looking good!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
We saw 10+ doggies just a few kilometers outside Orpen on the H7 one morning during our December 2013 visit 8)

Also saw 30+ the next morning in the riverbed near Bobbejaan krans.

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:18 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
JeanniR wrote:
We saw 10+ doggies just a few kilometers outside Orpen on the H7 one morning during our December 2013 visit 8)

Also saw 30+ the next morning in the riverbed near Bobbejaan krans.

Must have been an awesome sighting!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We now have more information on some of Kruger's wild dog packs and their numbers per pack :D
Will share in a moment!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:popcorn: :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Here is some of the information shared thus far by the Endangered Wildlife Trust :D

Lower Sabi Pack

Packs of Kruger: The "Lower Sabie Pack" is currently a pack of 21 individuals as a result of a successful denning season in 2013. The packs core home range is in an area east of Lower Sabie rest camp but they have moved into the Skukuza area as well as Tshokwane. They denned along the Sabie River in 2013 and it is hoped the pack will continue to thrive in 2014 seeing all the pups become a year old.

Crocodile Bridge Pack

Packs of Kruger: The Crocodile Bridge Pack has been led by the same alpha pair for the last three years and have had large litters of pups. After having 13 pups during the 2013 denning season the pack has increased to over 20 individuals.

Berg en Dal Pack

Packs of Kruger: The Berg-en-Dal pack is the most severely affected by snaring in Kruger.Snares have been removed from both the alpha male and female in this pack that we were fortunately able to save. As a result of the snaring the packs numbers have remained low even after successful denning seasons in 2012 & 2013 but continue to persist with the challenges they face.

Jock Pack

Packs of Kruger: The Jock Pack was the third pack to be collared in Southern Kruger on Jock safari lodge concession and was featured in the first episode of 50/50 in 2013. The adult female fitted with a GPS collar unfortunately disappeared shortly after she was collared and was never seen again. The packs den was located on the concession and a camera trap was allowing us to capture photos of three Wild Dog puppies shortly after they emerged from the den. They now number 8

Pretoriuskop Pack

Packs of Kruger: The "Pretoriuskop Pack" is one of the greatest success stories for Wild Dogs in Kruger. In early 2012 the pack contained just three adults before denning season where they had six pups. The pack has since increased to 14 individuals after another successful denning season in 2013.An adult female was fitted with a GPS collar in November 2013 which will give accurate info on the packs movements.

Phabeni Pack

Packs of Kruger: The "Phabeni Pack" was the first to be collared in November 2011 near Phabeni gate and contained 9 individuals at the time. One of the collared males earned his name a few months later when he was seen no longer wearing his collar. "On-Off" some how managed to ditch his fancy piece of tracking equipment which was unfortunately never located. The pack now contains 7 individuals after 2013 denning season.

Skukuza pack split - Skukuza pack/Investec Pack

Packs of Kruger National park: The "Skukuza Pack" was the first pack identified at the start of the Kruger Wild Dog Project in 2011. The alpha male "Lightning" is one of the oldest Wild Dogs in Kruger and has led the pack for over four years. The Skukuza packs dynamics have changed over the last year, the pack left the western boundary in March 2013 coming into contact with snares the pack lost two members and then split in two forming a new pack the "Investec Pack"

The investic pack are 10 and have moved Northwards towards Orpen. :thumbs_up: " The pack is doing well in the central district of Kruger since they dispersed from the South in April 2013. The pack currently comprises of 10 individuals six adults and four pups."

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm 

Thanks for sharing all the info cheetah2111. Wild dogs are by far my favourite animal and I love knowing what is happening with them

Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Skukuza 3 April 2015 to 6 April 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
In the last two years:

Berg en Dal pack - decrease :(
Phabeni pack - decrease :(
Jock Pack - slight increase :)
Skukuza split to Investec pack big increase :D
Skukuza pack - big increase :D
Croc Bridge pack - big increase :D
Lower Sabi pack - big increase :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:13 pm 

Overall it looks good. Do you have any info on the central and northern packs?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks for the interest Pietskiet :D

I can give you what information I have gathered, but it will not be from the mouth of @KNP wild dogs :)

There is a pack of 9 that has been seen in the December period! They were seen just North of Mopani at Bowkerskop, seen West of Mopani on the Shongololo Loop, and East of Mopani on the tropic of capricorn loop. So we can call this the 'Mopani' pack I suppose :D

The 'Phalaborwa pack' is one of the better known in the Park and it seems to me there are 12 :D

The 'Orpen Pack' seems to be the largest numbering 30 :dance:

There was a reliable report of 3 dogs at the Shingwedzi T junction this last December :D Not sure what we name this pack, as there is no certainty yet if they are part of, or separate from the Bataleur or Shangoni pack that used to be were known two or three years back.

There were also reports of skittish wild dogs heading off into the bushes at the Punda Maria T junction. Not certain on numbers.

There is also a pack of four that has been reported around the Phalaborwa 4x4 trails, and up towards Shimuwini. Not sure what we call the pack.

Based on PetraJ's trip report, and reports on Kruger Latest Sightings, we can gather that there is a pack in Central Kruger despite the Orpen, and Investec pack. Though there exact number and name I cannot say.

Perhaps in time all will be stitched together and we will know more for certain. But the Kruger is massive, and some wild dog packs are dwelling mostly away from tourist roads!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm 

Thanks for the info, it is interesting.

We saw a pack of 6 dogs on the S90 near the Balule turn off in August 2010 but I have never heard or seen anything on this pack again. Is there anyone who perhaps have info regarding this pack?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:48 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
I have heard it said that the Phalaborwa pack used to be seen as far South East as Bangu waterhole on the S90! So it may be the answer to your riddle, as they may have numbered as few as six back in the winter of 2010 :hmz: But again, this is a guess :)

I have seen photos of dogs in Central Kruger which do not fit the profile of the Investec pack of 10, nor the Orpen pack of 30! Perhaps with more info we can better define who this pack is :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Many thanks cheetah2111. Adds great interest to a trip when you have some reference such as this!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:24 pm 

Thanks cheetah2111,
I'am not that strong on face book so the picture you draw help a lot and is nice reading. I think something that could confuse the picture are pack's that move from or to the neighbours like Timbavati.I personaly witness a pack of 5 a few years ago very near the western border of the Timbavati (close to Kapama).
Then also a pack of around 30 in the Kings camp concession area 14 months ago.

NO to frackers products

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Dup wrote:
Thanks cheetah2111,
I'am not that strong on face book so the picture you draw help a lot and is nice reading. I think something that could confuse the picture are pack's that move from or to the neighbours like Timbavati.I personaly witness a pack of 5 a few years ago very near the western border of the Timbavati (close to Kapama).
Then also a pack of around 30 in the Kings camp concession area 14 months ago.

I agree :thumbs_up: There are many groups moving in and out of Kruger, making it quite confusing! I saw a wildlife documentary on the 'Predators of the Timbavati' and the filming took place outside of Kruger, yet I could identify from my own photos that the big wild dog pack on the show was indeed the Orpen pack we see in Kruger :D No doubt dogs come in from outside the borders and are misidentified as this or that pack. The packs operate in close proximity to one another in some areas of Kruger now :D

I always follow the wild dog researchers on twitter and facebook. I will share any newsworthy info :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am 

Thanks again cheetah, but one thing is sure searching for wild dogs in upcoming trips has definitely become more interesting. I have never seen the Orpen pack and do hope we are lucky in March when we briefly visit Talamati

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next