Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Road kills in the Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 am 

Reading social media one gets the impression that road kills have increased over the years. There are a lot more photos of dead animals being loaded to social medai sites then ever before. Two questions: (1) how many road kills are taking place, and (2) what is being done about the problem in general?

Post subject: Re: Road kills in the Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 am 

Thebi, I agree, no one likes to see road kills and by the very nature of the Social media nowadays you will find more reports where in the past it wasn't possible.
The park does have random speed checks and I think we can all play a part by reporting any acts where we see the rules of the park are being broken as soon as possible and with as many details as you can including photos.
Reporting Rule breakers

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thebi I do not know the answers to your questions but road kill in Kruger is not what we want to see, ever. In May one morning we were very unfortunate to see a young hyena ripped in half lying in the road between Olifants and Satara and it happened not long ago as the blood was still running from the hyenas mouth and his two seperated body parts.

Elsa has provided the best advice - Report those who break the rules.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:57 pm 

Back in the old days (60s &70s) you "never" found any road kills. I am sure they happened but they were very rare. In the 80s onwards the odd road kill would be found but again still fairly rare. It just seems that the problem is getting a LOT worse. I do not think that random speed checks will change the situation. One has to create a situation where speeders stand a better than average chance of being caught. Would it not be possible to use the HR in this regard? Tour operators should have recording devices on all their vehicles. I am not saying they are the worst offenders but it would be a step in the right direction. As for reporting offenders you can not report people for speeding as you have no proof. Common sense tells you they are speeding but you cannot prove it. The reporting of visitors breaking rules needs to be another discussion all together. Reading social media leaves one with the feeling that some visitors are now taking this to extremes and believe that it is their god given mission in life not only to report rule breakers but to confront them as well. If this continues there are going to be a lot more "road rage" incidents.