Skip to Content

Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Unread postby kite » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, one of the factors to consider is whether you are an early morning person or a late night owl!
A sunset or night drive means being out late on the roads with a good chance of seeing nocturnal animals and getting a feel for the park without the daytime activities and traffic.

pviral

Question for Sunset/Sunrise Drives

Unread postby pviral » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:05 am

We are taking sunrise; sunset; night drive; morning walk at Satara and taking sunset drive/sunrise drive at Lower Sabie and night drive at Olifants.

1. What vehicles they use for sunset/sunrise drive offered by camps?
2. Do you suggest night drive and afternoon river walk in Olifants?
3. Shall we will take sunrise and sunset at Skukuza
4. How many passengers per vehicle? Are the vehicle 10 seaters?

saraf

Re: Question for Sunset/Sunrise Drives

Unread postby saraf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 pm

The size of the vehicle depends on the number of guests booked on the drive. The smaller camps will use the 10 seater but the larger camps like Satara and Lower Sabie will use the 20-seater ones, as their drives tend to be popular.

I think the walks go out on the 10 seaters as they have a maximum of 8 guests.

You are doing rather a lot of the drives - are you leaving yourself enough time to go out on your own?
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

josette06

Unread postby josette06 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 am

Hello
I am going to KNP in 2 weeks and try to find out where to do the morning drive and where for the sunset one between
the 3 camps I am visiting : Skukuza / Satara and Olifants
Where are the best opportunities in the morning .
Shame the people who have the same question do not come back to tell their experience once back !!!!
Is morning drive in Olifants a good idea ? and sunset or night drive in SKukuza or Satara

Tks for your advices

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:18 am

A very warm welcome to you josetta :gflower:

You are staying at some lovely camps that should offer good sightings this time of the year.

My gut would suggest morning drive at Skukuza, and sunset at Satara.

Skukuza has an interesting diversity of roads and getting out before the normal traffic means that you may well hit the predators before they disappear for their daily nap. I love all areas in the early morning, but Skuks can be particularly exciting.

My next suggestion would be Satara for an evening drive. Satara is really a great place for predators. The S100 is particularly well known. The problem can be the amount of traffic in the day time at certain sightings. Doing a sundowner drive means that you can enjoy sightings alone.

Do dress warmly. particularly for the morning drive. More than one person has not enjoyed the experience, due to the freezing chill. I always wear lots of layers, including very warm gloves and something to cover my face.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:13 pm

A warm welcome from me as well josetta! :clap:

I think MM has given you good advice but really no two drives are the same and one can have a full complement of sightings from a morning drive at a certain camp and the very next day see almost nothing but it's really all about being out in the bush when there are no other tourists around and the experience, anticipation and excitement of what might be around the next corner.
Enjoy!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

josette06

Unread postby josette06 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:13 am

Tks to both of you for the advice. I shall take gloves and hats just like when I go to the mountains here in winter
Can I ask 2 more questions :
My husband has back problems. Do you think he is right not to do the morning or evening drive in the trucks or whatever car that takes us to the drive ?
also I tried to book on this site but cannot get to the reservation page for activities. Is that normal ? Will I still find space available when I arrive in 2 weeks time ?

Tks a lot

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:55 am

Hi Josette,

Have a look at Availability
This is for Skukuza which I picked randomly but you can go to the camps of your choice which seem to be all working fine.

You can take a chance and book when checking in at the various camps but might be better to book and be sure.

josette06

Unread postby josette06 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:17 am

Tks, I think my problem is I go to my computer at midnight when they do an update of the availibility
Should try to go earlier !
I cannot find out what is the difference between Sunrive V1, sunrise V2 and V3
Description are all the same . Can you tell me which V I should choose ?

And what about the drive ? Is it very bumpy for someone who has back problems ?

Tksa a lot

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:10 am

The computers are possibly doing updates etc across midnight so if you can try at other times sure you will find it all working well.

If you hover the mouse over the various V types of drives it seems to indicate the different starting times dependent on the time of year.

I think it will depend on what roads the guides take for the drives as to how bumpy it will be for someone with a bad back.
They will almost certainly take some of the dirt or non tarred ones and they can vary in condition and corrugations.
So difficult for me to really advise on what to do.

inigana

Unread postby inigana » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi there!
I'm traveling to Kruger the 2nd week of September. I'm staying at one night at Skukuza, two nights at Lower Sabie and the last night at Berg en dal.
I'm planning to do some morning and sunset drives at those parks. Which one is best for each camp?? what would you recommend, morning or sunset at those camps?? I think i'd rather go for a sunset drive instead of a night drive though.
And last, is it worth it to go for a morning walk at Lower Sabie? I don't feel quite safe walking around with animals out there!
Thanks in advance!!

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:59 pm

I would say go for the walk at Lower Sabie. Just bear in mind that most animals will hear or see humans on foot way before you will see them and take flight. Normally you won't get close enough for them to be a danger. And the guides are well trained and will not walk into trouble.

For a drive, I like to spend my last night in Kruger on a drive. Drives from BnD do get some good sightings.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”