Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: N'Watin'Wambu
Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:47 am 

Hello,
we are looking forward to our stay in July. But now we read some not so good comments about the N'Watin'Wambu Wilderness Trail. We booked this one. In some posts we read that it is a very dangerous trip.
Is that true?

Thanks for your help
Fabian

Post subject: Re: N'Watin'Wambu
Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Fabian and a very warm welcome to you. :gflower:

The trail, otherwise know as the Metsi Metsi trail was closed for a while for renovations. The bad reports possibly came from those who were disappointed about not being in the actual Metsi Metsi camp. Here is a letter giving a bit of information on the facilities.

http://www.sanparks.org/assets/docs/par ... letter.pdf

All the trails are rather challenging and have an element of danger. Personally it would not bother me. It is a lovely area with the possibility of many sightings. The rangers are also so attuned to the bush that I have never felt afraid on any trails or walks that I have done.

I do remember reading a trip report where the visitors were disappointed that they did not have the Metsi Metsi facilities. I will see if I can find it for you. If I remember correctly, they did have some really good experiences.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I found the trip report. Have a look. I tend to like rustic, but I do think that sometimes expectations play a big role.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76405&start=240

Unread postPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 pm 

Hi Meandering Mouse, thank you a lot.

I also think, that the wrong expectations are a problem. I tried my best to get more informations about the trail, but there is little.

In this forum I saw also the same post you showed me. And another one of the same user.

Quote:
I did the Nwatimwambu trail camp (the Metsi Metsi replacement) in November. I really can NOT recommend it. The bush is too thick for walking, it is NOTHING like the Metsi Metsi area. It can be dangerous to walk up on animals in bush that thick, and not everyone in the group will even see the few animals encountered.

While Andre and Ronnie tried very hard to make up for this, I would switch to another trail if possible, Sweni was much better.

The tents were nice, although the chemical toilets need to be serviced by the park between each set of guests, the rangers should not have to do this.
from Wildcatzoo

That there is an element of danger is clear to us. But we do not want to challange our luck ;-)
Maybe in july the bush is not that thick and we can see the animals.

I was hoping to hear a different opinion from someone who has already done the trail. After all the user has done the trail 6 month ago. Maybe the management reacted to the critisism?!?

Thank you for your help!

Post subject: N'Watin'Wambu
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am 

I've just booked this trail for September 2015, but the reviews are not glowing. Having done Metsi Metsi, Sweni and Olifants twice I was hoping for the same high level. Can someone please advise what is the situation and is Metsi Metsi going to reopen?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:33 pm 

Will refer your query to SANParks PR. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:25 am 
Guru
Guru

flipper6 wrote:
I've just booked this trail for September 2015, but the reviews are not glowing. Having done Metsi Metsi, Sweni and Olifants twice I was hoping for the same high level. Can someone please advise what is the situation and is Metsi Metsi going to reopen?

I have asked my Kruger colleagues to let me know on the update flipper6. Will revert back soon.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 am 
Guru
Guru

The trails camps are being revamped and Metsi Metsi was due to for this as some of the huts were falling over and needed maintenance as this is a wilderness camp. Management decided to close it completely so that our Technical Services Department could attend to and revamp it. It was also decided that a new site for the camp would also be identified closer to the edge of the wilderness area, then a whole new camp would be built.

Guests with existing bookings were given an alternative and a fly camp called N’watin’wambu was introduced to accommodate them. This is a “new” product and it will depend with the guest feedback; if we should continue with its’ services or not. So far feedback has been mostly negative mainly due to the density of the bush in this specific area and KNP management is already busy with a process to find a new site.

Metsi Metsi will reopen once construction has been completed.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 am 

Lesego, many thanks for the advices. I will maintain my booking for this location in the hope that come September 6th next year the "old" Metsi Metsi camp might be operational.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you Lesego. :thumbs_up: