Skip to Content

All-day & Half Day-drives in KNP

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
zootenval

Specialized All Day Private Game Drive

Unread postby zootenval » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:40 pm

Greetings:

I have been looking for alternatives to the regular game drives offered at the rest camps. I found reference to specialized all day private game drives, where you can hire a private guide and vehicle for the day. Wondering if anyone has used this service before, what they thought of it, and the cost. Also, how is it paid for? We are also looking at outside guides with vehicle that would come into the park and pick us up for the day, but I would like to possibly keep it in the park, so to speak, if possible... Thanks.

zootenval

All Day Private Game Drives?

Unread postby zootenval » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Hello:

Has anyone had any experience with the following Game Drive option listed on the SanParks website for Kruger, under "Activities - Game Drives"? It looks great, though it seems to be a challenge getting any information from specific camps.

New additional drive options

All the above drives for the camps will be available through the SANParks’ central reservation system, as well as drives from the main gates. However an additional offering is an all-day-drive where, on request and availability at camp level, guests may hire the use of a vehicle and driver for the entire day, subject to availability. Trained officials take visitors to sections of the park which are usually inaccessible to tourists. This service can also be arranged from other camps at an additional fee.

Reservations should be made well in advance (2 months):

Kruger National Park, P O Box 50, Skukuza 1350 or Tel: +27 (0)13-735-4998 or (0)13-735-4030.

Furthermore, differentiated prices for adults and children are given on the guided drive options.

Chakra

Re: All Day Private Game Drives?

Unread postby Chakra » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi,
I had asked this in TA forum and looked like no one had any experience of this so far. I contacted the Pretoria office who asked me to contact camps directly. The on duty guys at Biyamitti and Talamati sounded surprised but then told me that apparently only Satara was offering that. No good for me as I'm staying at the bushcamps.
The gentleman at Biyamitti told me that once the usual sunrise guided drive time was up they were happy to extend the drive as a Private Drive in blocks of four hours but we had to return by 4 pm. They needed at least 4 people for the private drive.
I think it's going to be difficult to organise from small camps who have only one or two vehicles and a few rangers. Let's wait to hear about experience from the bigger camps.
I also came to know from knowledgeable friends who had just returned from KNP that the quality of SANparks guiding was very hit and miss. Some superb , some awful.
Cheers.

zootenval

Re: All Day Private Game Drives?

Unread postby zootenval » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:06 am

Thanks for the reply, Chakra...

I contacted Letaba, and the nice lady I spoke with gave me the e-mail of the head ranger, John Adamson. I e-mailed him directly, and am waiting for a reply. I am still working on getting info from Skukuza.

The main reason we want to do this is because my wife and I are avid photographers. It will be difficult for me as the driver to be able to take as many shots as I might like, and I have been on too many open vehicle tours packed with people. It is very difficult to take decent shots. Hence, we will pony up for the cost of a private drive.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”