Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crocodile Bridge Sightings
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:27 am 

Guys who will be in the south of the Kruger from next week Saturday (31st)??

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:48 am 

Hi All

Just spent 5 wonderful days at Croc bridge. Its a great camp I love it. The sightings were fantastic, with a lioness in a tree just on the bridge near the camp. Moral dont climb trees thinking you can get away from Lions!!! We saw lots of great sightings of lions around there as well as other animals. We saw plenty of the big 5. Just a mention here I ttook some photos of idiots :roll: (What else can I call them) who were playing chicken with huge bull elephants. One CA driver obviously thought he was brave and clever, :x he was lucky the elephant mock charged but if he hadn't driven off I think the next one would have been for real. We came across 2 bull elephants on road to Lower Sabie and again from Lower Sabie to Skukuza on our way out. These Bulls certainly were telling us they owned the road and we respected that reversing and getting out of their way. Some people seem to think that driving up to them is fun. I saw a few of them getting a wake up call. As I said they were very lucky. By the way reversing 1 or 2 kilometres down the road is quite exciting !! :lol:
I loved my trip everything I saw. I was very sad about the incident nr Lower Sabie regarding Rhinos. In fact I took a photo of a guy who had parked his little bakkie nr the weir just passed Lower Sabie on road to Croc Bridge. There were no Kruger markings on the Bakkie I also took a photo pf him. I called him he said he was working on something there. I hope he was. What do you do about this as I didnt want to over react?
To all of you lucky people who still are going soon wish I was you. I have to wait for June to go again.
Take care!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up: Thank you for sharing. 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:59 am 

[quote="Nicolette"]. What do you do about this as I didnt want to over react?quote]

SAN parks members, are we not able to back some sort of funding to place signs at all the gates into the Kruger, warning people not to stick out/get out or their vehicles, as well as go off the road where there is no marked roads?...I think its a great idea...also to incourage people to take pictures as evidence and take it to any gate so they can broadcast it to all of the gates. so they can fine they people...

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Maybe they should make it clearer that it's not allowed to walk around at Hippo Pools without the guide Daniel. I saw people twice a good distance away from their car in the afternoon (Daniel was already gone) looking for the paintings. I didn't get the impression that they wanted to ignore the rules, I think they were just not aware of them :doh:

Last edited by flying cheetah on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Nicolette, you are NOT overreacting!

Please send your pics and the location to somebody high up in Kruger, like Lesego and Joep Stevens who are both on the forum.

You never know, you could save the lives of some of our rhinos , and this might lead to arrests.

If it was in fact innocent, why were there no official markings, unless it was undercover.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 am 

hi

WIll do but will do tonight as my photos are on home COmputer

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Nicolette. :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:46 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Yeah chaps, and there is no restaurant or pool.

We will be spending 2 nights at Crocodile Bridge camp in May and just learned that there are no restaurants there. Where are (and how far away) the restaurants? I notice that it seems close to a Park gate. Any information will help us. Thank you.
Anita

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

But Croc bridge offers take aways and do have a nice coffee shop :thumbs_up:

The shop is also very well stocked

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

brogan wrote:
Nicolette wrote:
. What do you do about this as I didn't want to over react?quote]

SAN parks members, are we not able to back some sort of funding to place signs at all the gates into the Kruger, warning people not to stick out/get out or their vehicles, as well as go off the road where there is no marked roads?...I think its a great idea...also to encourage people to take pictures as evidence and take it to any gate so they can broadcast it to all of the gates. so they can fine they people...

I live in a very old and beautiful part of London and it is festooned with signs. As I drive over a superb and beautiful bridge, with a gorgeous view left and right, all you see is road signs. You could cover The Kruger in signs and still people will break the very sensible rules that are often for their own safety.

Give them something when they enter that makes clear what the rules are and imo, people tease and upset ellies and that it what has made them aggressive.

JMO but if I visit Kruger I want to be in the Wilderness. I am soo fed up of reading about satellite dishes and signs.

If anyone thinks they are clever to ignore the rules, well you know. Let them have it!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:57 pm 

Anita, Lower Sabie has a restaurant and cafe and as Pumbaa says, the shop at CB does snacks like burgers and toasties, but I don't know when they stop serving them.

I think there are restaurants in Komatipoort but please remember you will not be allowed out of the camp or park after the gates close.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum AnitaLV.

The Croc Bridge take aways are better than most of the restaurant food, and I think they make them up until about gate closing time. And there is a bench next to the shop at the fence to sit and watch things like warthog, elephant, rhino, and maybe lions strolling past.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:15 am 

We stayed in Croc Bridge and the take aways are good. Toasted sandwiches and Burgers etc. If you want a meal try having a lunch at Lower Sabie and make supper the snack. Or you can buy meat and do the braai/barbecue thing.

To respond to the signs over Kruger. The pamphlet handed out at gates clearly state rules etc. This last weekend I was appalled at the number of people at 'cat' sightings who were hanging out of windows one car had a passenger with his head out of the sunroof and the sliding door open, trhis while they were driving. THere were 'adults' driving with children standing on seats with their heads and bodies out of the sunroof. I really don't know how to stop this. I worry that one day there will be a fatality because of this. I would also be upset if an animal had to suffer because of reckless driving.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Nice to know. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next