Skip to Content

Sightings to see, not seen

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Sightings to see, not seen

Unread postby barryels » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 am

Bush Baptist wrote:I don't see lions on the S100 hilda, but that doesn't mean they are not there. :wink:

We neither BB :wink: . Were at Satara for 4 nights and no lions on S100 which we drove 3 times (only to get to the S41) :evil: .

I think it is the fact that we leave early and come back close to closing time that we missed the birds at the shop at Pkop :hmz: . Saw some brown-headed parrots in front of our bungalow though :whistle: .
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:12 am

I know they must be there BB, but they hide from us! I get so jealous of other people's wonderful sightings at places that we visited round about the same time, but missed out on, for instance, the Turaco, or even Roan or Sable! But maybe one day our luck will change, and will see all of them, plus a Trumpeter Hornbill when up North! :thumbs_up:
VHR Fundraiser: Potjiekos Competition: Far Schools Project
20 - 22 October 2015 - Satara
23 - 26 October 2015 - Biyamiti
27 - 29 October 2015 - Talamati
Return back home on 30 October 2015.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 am

It took my dad 50 years, and quite a few visits to see his first leopard.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Riaanf31

Unread postby Riaanf31 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Lions on the S100 is a myth.

Purple Crested Turaco on the other hand I've seen a few times. The latest was in a tree right overhead when waiting for a slow puncture to be fixed at the local garage in Skukuza Camp. Have also seen them ply overhead whilst 'cooling off' in the Skuks 'pond'.

Your old man must've loved the bush to keep going for 50 years. And some terrible timing to wait that long for his first Pantera Pardus.

In Sept we saw Serval on a night drive at Satara and then that night a AWC walked straight past our dinner table as we were munching away on some braai food. the picture will soon appear. You'll see it soon when the SO's TR calles Moms & 'Mites on a mission in KNP.
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

ROTTWEILER

Unread postby ROTTWEILER » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 am

I see that the initial post was opened nearly 5 years ago . I sincerely hope that some of those people who have posted after that have managed to tick those empty boxes . I have had the pleasure of visiting the Kruger Park on 7 previous times for a total of about 40 days . I have been lucky enough to see leopard on 3 occasions , cheetah (5) on one occasion , caracal once and a number of wild dog , lion and sable . However , there is one large mammal which I have yet to lay eyes on . Some may find it a bit odd but my sighting which I still have to see is the eland . I have spent very little time north of Olifants , but hope to rectify that in a couple of years time . Looking forward to it and hope to see a number of eland as I should be spending a week at Shingwedzi .

skywalker2251

Unread postby skywalker2251 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Here's my wishlist of things unseen:

Small leopard cubs
Small cheetah cubs
Pangolin
Caracal
Aardvark
Puffadder and Black Mamba (from a reasonable distance)
Black Rhino during the day - I saw my first Black Rhino last year on a night drive from Lower Sabie, but didn't get any good photos

Riaanf31

Unread postby Riaanf31 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi All,

Rottweiler - You are in good company here. Eland is also an antelope that I'm yet to see within KNP.

Of the animals I've wished to see the Black Rhino still eludes me and the night creatures are elusive for obvious reason.

Skywalker2251 - It would awesome to see the young as you've got on your wishlist. As for Pangolin and Aardvark, that would just be pot luck. There have been a few recent posts on this forum and other platform of people seeing them, but they are rarely seen.

Haha, I'm with you on the snake sightings. Over the years I've hardly seen any in KNP.

Rohan and Sable are antelope that I've not seen for a few years so I'd be more than happy to have a chance encounter when we next visit the magical KNP.
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”