Skip to Content

Bush braais

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Merlin11

Bush braais

Unread postby Merlin11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi, is there a reason why bush braais cannot be an activity which could be booked online?

There are only 2 of us and we were fortunate to go on a bush braai on our first Kruger trip, we joined up with some others by advertising on the forum. But have never been successful on any of our subsequent 5 trips, going again later this year and would really love to experience a bush braai again and thought the braais might get more take up if we could book online. I know there is understandably a minimum number of people needed but if people booked online there could be an understanding that if the minimum number isn't met the braai would be cancelled :hmz:
Skukuza 16/10/15 to 21/10/15
Lower Sabie 22/10/15 to 24/10/15
Satara 25/10/15 to 29/10/15
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

Elsa

Re: Bush braais

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Merlin, at the moment as its a joint venture between SANparks (guide and vehicle) and the restaurant which does not belong to SANparks.
So send an email to reservations with your Res # and mention from which camp you want to have the bushbraai
We do have This Topic where you can possibly find others who will be in the camp at the same time to join in.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Merlin11

Unread postby Merlin11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks Elsa, we have previous years advertised on various threads on this forum and also sent off emails to the camps to see if there were any bush braais on any of the our days in those camps, but on our last 5 visits have not been successful. We will try again this year as we get nearer to October.

Our view is that these braais are such a fantastic experience that they could be real money winners , particularly with overseas visitors. I understand about these being a joint venture, but does it ever happen that either Sanparks or the restaurants cannot support a bush braai on any given day? Again, I would suggest that a caveat could be added to the website that the bush braai would be cancelled unless the minimum number of people book and it can be supported by both Sanparks and the restaurant.

Just an idea on my part, probably based on wishful thinking and us being so desperate to go on another bush braai!
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

stevenjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby stevenjm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:16 am

Merlin11 wrote:Hi, is there a reason why bush braais cannot be an activity which could be booked online?

There are only 2 of us and we were fortunate to go on a bush braai on our first Kruger trip, we joined up with some others by advertising on the forum. But have never been successful on any of our subsequent 5 trips, going again later this year and would really love to experience a bush braai again and thought the braais might get more take up if we could book online. I know there is understandably a minimum number of people needed but if people booked online there could be an understanding that if the minimum number isn't met the braai would be cancelled :hmz:

Hi Merlin11,

Overall - activities on the site are very new, only releasing the single day activities (depending on rules and parties involved) last year. We are in the process of planning and development for Overnight activities to be launched not too distant future.

With the above said, and Elsa referenced - there are various parties involved in this and for on-line transactions that is a process that could be very disjointed and in the end be a futile process. As such we are looking at activities that we have full control over that fit in the business processes at the moment as priority.

An example to further explain, there are activities that also depend on weather situations, so these will not be online but instead remain in care by the Park / Camp respectively.

I hope this and Elsa's information helps you.

Thanks
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Merlin11

Unread postby Merlin11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks Elsa and Steven
This was just an idea on our part, I often see requests from people trying to to attract others to make up the numbers for a bush braai, but rarely see others responding taking up the request. I still think it is a shame that couples can very rarely experience a wonderful Kruger bush braai, but totally understand the difficulty of arranging the logistics of it.

Anyway, fingers crossed we will be more successful this year than we have on our recent 5 attempts. One of our best memories is sitting out under the stars, completely dark, good food and wine and listening to a lion roar!
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:05 pm

I know its not much help with booking before you go but I noticed this week that Lower Sabie have started advertising their Bush Braais on a blackboard outside reception. Hopefully more camps might take up this idea.
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

Merlin11

Unread postby Merlin11 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks saraf, will bear that in mind, this trip will be our first time staying at Lower Sabie, so fingers crossed :thumbs_up:
Skukuza 30/10/15
Fly Home 31/10/15

Bush_baby

Unread postby Bush_baby » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi all...

My partner and I will be in Kruger in June...so incredibly excited as I have been living abroad for over a year and planning this trip for the last year. We have both never done a bush braai before and would really like to do one. We will contact the camps when we get there but will be Skuluza 10, 11, 12 June and Lower Sabie 16 17 18...holding thumbs that we get to go :)

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Good to have you back on the forums, Bush_baby :D and I wish you a super KNP trip and bush braai.
aquila non capit muscas

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:01 am

Is it true that their is a temporary ban/postponement of bush braiis in KNP, due to poaching activity?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am

Its not something I have heard of!
Where did you hear that ctm7943?
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Yesterday on Trip Advisor a poster in the KNP forum said:
"We had also hoped to do a bush braii but have heard that, because of poaching activity, none will be allowed right now. Too sad."

I am hoping to do a bush braii in a couple of weeks at LS and was surprised to read this.
I am asking here because this forum normally has up to date information from recent visitors & Sanparks representatives.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Fri May 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Twice this week I have assisted at bush braais for Berg-en-Dal.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri May 01, 2015 5:53 pm

ctm7943 wrote:I am asking here because this forum normally has up to date information from recent visitors & Sanparks representatives.
Yes, it does. This is SANParks' website and forum, and we mods have direct contact with SANParks on a daily basis to ensure the correct information is supplied. There are no other forums that can boast that.

Posted on 7 April 2015:

Lesley Nyawo wrote:Just a bit of background:
Whilst bush braais used to be very popular we struggled to offer a good experience in the restaurants. SANParks then modeled the new offering around fixing the restaurants which we firmly believe we have achieved. However, seeing that the solution in many camps was the introduction of branded restaurants, the offering of a bush braai product by them was not a given and hence put on hold till such time that we were satisfied with the performance of the restaurants.

However, the product is still offered in Mopani and Berg en Dal on a frequent basis (and soon from Skukuza) and I have heard that the operator of Lower Sabie and Pretoriuskop is looking at offering this product as well (details to be confirmed). The operator of Olifants, Letaba and Satara is still focusing on getting the restaurants running very well. In all likeliness Punda Maria and Shingwedzi will re-introduce such an offering as we have appointed a company on a management agreement at these sites and they are quite willing to offer this product.

Trust you’ll find this in order.
Sawubona
Dalene

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Thank you for the clarification.
This (current & accurate info) is why I love this forum.

Posted by someone on TA today: Bush Braais are certainly happening in the park. Not at all camps, because of the change over of restaurants. You can refer to the SANParks Forums for correct and up to date information.

Update: Lower Sabie is advertising bush braiis near their sightings board. :dance:

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”