Skip to Content

New Years in KNP

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
saraf

Re: OLD YEARS EVE IN KRUGER (punda)

Unread postby saraf » Fri May 15, 2009 2:01 pm

batman wrote:Hi all,

I am going to be in Punda Maria camp in Dec over Old years eve and was wandering if anyone new whether the camp will organise anything special, like a late night drive or bush braai on old years eve?

They tried to organise something last year/this year. But the rain decided to make it's yearly appearence and was too unpredicatable to plan anything more than 4 hours in advance. It was just too wet for any kind of drive. To be honest at that time of year I'm in bed by 8:30pm - getting up at 4:30am everyday takes its toll.

They did have a special meal/celebration in the restaurant though.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Betelgeuse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Betelgeuse » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:19 am

@ batman: The camp does not have the means to organise bush braais.
Yes; we will organise a special drive on New Year's Eve (31 December). The drive will be advertised at reception (in camp) where bookings can be made. We had late summer rains the previous season (it only started raining on Christmas Eve) and it poured down for several days and like saraf said; we decided not to take bookings for a special drive.

Don't know what the weather will be doing this year! :wink:

All the best
There is nothing like looking, if u want to find sumthing. You certainly usually find sumthing, if u look, but it is not always quite the sumthing you were after. - JRR Tolkien.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:45 pm

It was great to be such a peaceful place for the New Year for once. I just wish I could spend every New Years there.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Betelgeuse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Betelgeuse » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:21 am

I can assure you that our HSM is very proactive to take action against noise-makers! :)
Usually this camp quiets down after 20:00 and by 22:00 the camp has gone to sleep!
I just don't know what happened during this school holiday, this camp was never as noisy as during this period; but then again there were small children everywhere. :shock:
I pondered about this transformation of our small, quiet camp and came to the conclusion that there were probably much more children visiting in winter than in summer due to the lower malaria risk... :hmz:
Anyway; this is what 31 Dec. was like for me: I took out drives (can't remember if I did sunset, night drive or both and I can't remember if saraf was on the vehicle or not?!?) and when I came back the camp was totally quiet and no lights from campers in the camping area were burning.
Three of us sat in the darkness listening to owls calling until 23:45 and then we went to bed :) On the 1st I took out a sunrise (early morning drive) and we came across some guys dressed in white robes standing on the back of an open bakkie travelling towards a pride of lions...when they passed us again all were hunched up in the back as they were being escourted out of the Park by the traffic police.
Don't know if they were reported or if they came across a section ranger or traffic officer (or all of the above because law enforcement was out in full force over that time). :)
The change on the transgressors facial expressions was quite funny though!

Ciao!
There is nothing like looking, if u want to find sumthing. You certainly usually find sumthing, if u look, but it is not always quite the sumthing you were after. - JRR Tolkien.

Gumboot

New Year Celebrations?

Unread postby Gumboot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 pm

The wife and I decided to kick for touch.
This year no friends, no family, no god-children and definitely no unwanted "baggage" either.
Just us and 3 days of bliss n the park.
Of the times we have been to the park none have been over New Year.
What happens at midnight in the camps?
Could anyone with experience on the topic please inform/entertain us on the goings-on.
We just do'nt know what to expect.

Lionessnadia

Re: New Year Celebrations?

Unread postby Lionessnadia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 am

Me and my husband were in Satara on the 31st of December 2009.
That day there were a special Night drive that you could have booked that would departure at 10 that evening and be back at 2 in the morning. :lol:
The tariff was a bit more than the normal one, but they took us to the picknick spot (cant remember the name) that ends at the top of the S100? :redface:
When we arrived, there was a table with lovely snacks and champangne preperred for us, we did the countdown to 2010 there! :dance:

This was one of the most memorable things I did in all the years going to the Kruger! :clap:
The drive itself was wonderfull! :D
We saw 20 hippos standing in the road ( something you will not normaly see during the day ), and a few meters from the Satara gate we got 2 lions in the road as well.
We stopped and realise that there were buffs at the left side of the lions.
We stood there for about 20 min when the lions went for it, and I saw my first kill on the first morning of 2010! What a sight!

I dont know if all the camps did this, and if this would be available again this year?
But believe me, it is worth the money! :wink:

Lionessnadia

Unread postby Lionessnadia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:20 pm

It is surely something to consider!
Yes, it is expensive, but you definitly get what you pay for! :clap:
The snacks was good, chippies, biltong, crackers with cheese and then some bubbly just to hip hip hoeraa! :lol:
But the sight experiance was ooh soo good!

Just something funny quickly! :wink:
We were camping in Satara, and when we came back from the Night drive, we drove around in the camp for 1hour and 15 min!
We coulnt find our tent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :redface:
We drove around and around and around and eventualy George (my husband) spotted a Caravan that was close by our tent! :roll:
We were so tired when we woke up, and we had to pack up that same day to go Pretoriuskop. :(
So, went to bed at 4 in the morning, woke up at 8!
Already the blazing sun in December in the Kruger ( everyone knows that sun! ) is hanging high, had to pack up tent in that sun and drove to Pretoriuskop. :doh:
Luckly on our way we had that lovely lunch with pap and sauce and boerewors at Tsokwane!
And the thrill of the Night drive was still there, so it all made up for the tiredness! :dance:

I will definitly advice everyone that considers this Night drive to have an hour or more sleep before going on it, cause the next day is a loonnnggg day if you'r tired!

Teresa CTN

Unread postby Teresa CTN » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:58 pm

My husband and I have spent a few New Years in or next to the Park.
Whatever you do I'm sure you'll enjoy the evening.
If there's entertainment around you, once it dies down, the peaceful sound of the bush is amazing - even better if the 'wild' neighbours let you know they're close by!

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 pm

2008/9 - I went to sleep at around 9ish and didn't wake up until the alarm went off at 04:15. Didn't hear any celebrations. The picnic sites and day visitor areas were very busy the next day and I would recommend avoiding them.

Raptor142

Unread postby Raptor142 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 pm

In the past, we've been in the larger camps over Christmas and new year and still haven't heard any of those animals ..... so the prospects are definitely good. :thumbs_up:
Man's future may look brighter if he spent less time trying to outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority:(EB White)(adapted)

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Massimo

Camps doing anything for old years / New Years

Unread postby Massimo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 am

Hey guys,

Was wondering are any camps doing anything for old years/ new years. E.g. late night bush braai's? late game drive e.g. leave at 10 came back 12? would be interesting to know. Im staying at Pkop so if you know of anything happening at this camp let me know :)
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

stevengzn

Re: Camps doing anything for old years / New Years

Unread postby stevengzn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi Massimo
You will find very little going on in terms of a party im sure.
I have in fact stayed at P'Kop on new years eve, back in 2007/2008 and there were no planned activities (although things may have changed)
Was lucky enough to be staying with a group of friends and we just made our way to the pool area (so as not to keep the rest of the camp up) in the evening and made our own celebration (no loud music and parties obviously)
We ended up having a great time as many other people had the same idea, and it ended up with about 20-30 people down there all from different parts of the, swapping stories and having a few drinks together to bring in the new year.
KNP Booked!!
2nd March 2013 - Lower Sabie
3rd March 2013 - Lower Sabie
4th March 2013 - Letaba
5th March 2013 - Letaba
6th March 2013 - Letaba
7th March 2013 - Skukuza
8th March 2013 - Skukuza
9th March 2013 - Lower Sabie

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: New Years in KNP

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm

The peacefull sounds of the adjoining wilderness beyond the camp fences should provide balm for the soul .

When in Kruger , do as the animals do ...
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I wish Kruger peace, stillness, tranquility and silent nights for the upcoming December holidays.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Hey Massimo,

Do yourself a few favours.

1. Bring the clock forward 3 hours and celebrate NY with the Indians.
2. Get to bed.
3. Get up and get out at 4h30.

I did from Croc Bridge a few years ago and had my best LONE drive ever. Saw 3 lots of lions, including mating, a family of 7 rhino, hyenas fighting over a bone, and to cap it, doggies.

All this while the rest of the camp was sleeping off the babelas.

Celebrate NY Kruger style.

But if you are going to Kgalagadi, get on the 23h00 night ride. we did last year and had a good ride also.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”