Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phalaborwa Gate Sightings
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:54 am 
Guru
Guru

:( :( On this sad day of the news that Nelson Mandela passed away last night, and with rain falling all over the country, trying to calm the hearts of so many South Africans that are in mourn due a huge icon lost, am I bringing you another sighting report out of the Kruger Park.

Back at work after being off last week, I had a Night Drive on Tuesday evening. On this 3rd day of December 2013, we went up the tar road, due to a report of a Lion sighting passed Masorini. On the way there as usual being in a bit of a rush to get to the reported sighting, before it may disappear, we found Buffalo Bulls not far from the gate, and a herd of Elephants just before Sable Loop's turn off. Of course Impalas with their lambs all over, and at Masorini Waterhole some Zebras, with Impalas.

We drove up and down, turned around again, driving up and down, looking for the 3 young Lions seen next to the road, but with no luck proceeded, where we then found a Black backed Jackal running in the road. He then started calling the rest of the family, where after we found the mother with her 4 pups. What a special sighting it was!!! We found some Steenbok, more Elephant Bulls, Bateleur Eagle and my 1st European Roller, before we turned around to go around Sable Dam loop back to the gate, and where we had a nice sighting of a Genet next to the road.

During Wednesday evening it started raining and measured about 16 mm's. On the rainy walk yesterday morning we found many Elephant Bulls and on our way back to the vehicle after having a breakfast break, and walking as it started raining again, we suddenly just heard Oxpeckers in front of us, and just saw the black figure between the thick Mopane Bushes. The Black Rhino made a funny noise, and I thought now it is coming charging, but luckily our luck, he turned and ran down from us and disappeared in the distance. At least after this close encounter, which was my 3rd Black Rhino sighting in 5 years, and my 2nd sighting on foot, we were all awake and arrived safely back to the vehicle.

Enjoy the rest of your day... :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
thank you Lourens... for your report and your thought
indeed a sad day...
Adieu Monsieur Nelson Mandela... Adieu and thank you :cry:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:40 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
A sad day indeed!! :(

Thank you for the great reports, much appreciated!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:09 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
And......

Olifants Rest Camp's Head Guide position awarded to: LOURENS BOTHA

EVENTUALLY!!!!

My perseverance paid off!!!! I am the happiest person in the world!!!

Just when I got to my lowest point of motivation, this news came in yesterday morning!!!!

I am starting on the 1st of January 2014 in Olifants Rest Camp, back where my guiding career started.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:12 pm 

Congratz man!!!! Well done!! May it only bring happiness. Olifants is soooooo beautiful!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:dance: :dance: :dance: bravo Lourens bravo :clap: :clap: :clap:

you are not the ONLY ONE... happiest person in the world
:hmz: at least 2 persons... minimum :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
:thumbs_up: Nice Lourens.

Back 'home' after a tour of duty to pick up experience.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Congratulations Lourens, I'm sure well deserved. :dance: :dance: :dance: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:02 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oh Wow!!! how 8) is that, great stuff. :dance: Congratulations Lourens. :clap: :clap: .. well done!!! :great:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:18 pm 

CONGRATULATIONS Lourens, another very happy Person from Switzerland!!! Will meet you definitely in February. Looking forward to our trip. Ursula

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:10 am 

Congratulations Lourens! :thumbs_up: :clap:

What a wonderful early Christmas present.

No doubt, Phalaborwa Gate is going to miss you though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:22 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
CONGRATULATIONS LOURENS!!!

it was lovely to add you to our list of sightings on Sunday!!!! :lol: :lol:

See you at Olifants in February. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:32 am 
Guru
Guru

:D And a very Happy Merry Christmas to you all!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:54 am 
Guru
Guru

:D After my last report, I did a Morning Drive Saturday the 7th of December and around Shikumbu seen Giraffes up and around the hill, and like the past few days, many Zebras around there.
During this morning it was raining too, but also seen Elephant Bulls and the Hyeanas at the den.

My Night Drive on the 9th we first went to Sable Dam, where we found a herd of Elephants, but with tiny little calves, and enjoyed them as they walked right passed us. On the gravel road to Masorini we found 2 Giraffe Bulls and some Zebras around Masorini.

While driving back to the gate we found a Lesser Bush Baby and enjoyed the moment when he came jumping over the road in front of us, and close to the gate found a Spotted Thickknee with a grasshopper in his beak.

Another rainy morning on the 11th when I did a 6 hour game drive and seen the dead Elephant at the Letaba River and the 1 which got shot by the traffic officer guard, but no Hyeanas only lots of Vultures and Marabou Storks. Seen all the general game, with a special sighting of 3 Zebra foals, Saddle Billed Stork, Black Backed Jackal, and a Leopard after breakfast at Letaba Rest Camp.

Our Morning walk on Friday the 13th we did in Masorini's area and after a heavy rain storm early in the morning, made it a bit more easier to follow a herd of Elephants for a long time, and unfortunately couldn't view them nicely due to the thick Mopane bushes. On the way back after our bush breakfast we found Steenbok and Impalas.

That evening as another rain storm started building up, we found the Blue Wildebeests on the S131 and further up the road a herd of Buffaloes, and at the Mankavi road some more Buffaloes with 2 Giraffe Bulls. Close to Ngwenyeni waterhole we found a Elephant Bull close to the road, and viewed him, until he crossed behind us over the road.

The Sunset was really beautiful that evening and enjoyed it with the hyeanas at their den. As it became dark, it were millions of Termites all over and what special sightings these termites gave us. We found an African Wild Cat running around and a Barn Owl flying and sitting around in the road, catching their source of protein.

:D

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:16 am 
Guru
Guru

:D The next morning on the walk, with the grass wet of all the dew, we didn't see any big animals except Impalas, but saw how a Velvet Mite got caught by looked like a Tyrant Ground Beetle, below the ground and a CMR beetle ate the flower of a Ipomoea sp.

The next morning on the 6 hour game drive seen the general animals and only on our way back from Letaba found our 1st Elephant close to Masorini.

Monday the 16th before I went on my off days we had a walk, and started off and ended with heavy humid weather, and luckily eventually found 3 White Rhino's and after getting to a nice spot and viewing these mega herbivores, the Park Helicopter came flying over, and they decided to take the shortest route into the bush, with us behind them. After viewing them again, and the 1 guest stepped on a branch, they decided our direction is the way to run, and luckily got out of the situation safely, but really not nice shouting to the guests behind the big bush, and then suddenly again, NO come back, behind us, as the Rhino's ran straight for the bush. They definitely were less than 10 metres from us, as they ran passed!!! :shock:

Then went on my off days, and started work on the 22nd.

On the Morning Drive on the S131 found Ground Hornbills, and not far from there a big herd of Buffaloes. The sunlight was awesome for pictures, and with the Buffaloes coming closer to the vehicle out of curiosity, made it even a better sighting.

On the S131 towards Ngwenyeni waterhole we got to a place where a Elephant was born, and only seen all the evidence, but still awesome to have seen it, and while looking at how the rest of the herd stood around for support, and welcoming the new 1, we saw the herd in the distance in the bush.

On this game drive we have seen MANY GIRAFFES AND ZEBRAS, another herd of Buffaloes up the Mopane road, and some Klipspringers at Shikumbu, where I met Crested Val.

On the 23rd on the S131 we found the Blue Wildebeests again in the same area as a few days back, and some Zebras at Ngwenyeni waterhole. After enjoying a sunset break with another stunning sunset we found a Porcupine after Shikumbu. Where the dead Elephant is, about 2 km's from the gate, nothing left though, we found a Small Spotted Genet, and before that a Sharpe's Grysbok, and a few Chameleons.

Yesterday morning on the 6 hour game drive I did, very strangely found a Ostrich Female, running up the road about 6 km's from the gate!!!! From there pup the Mopane tar road and seen some Zebras and Giraffes at Shikumbu.

Seen one Hyeana Cub at the den, and on the S131 gravel road towards Letaba for making a breakfast stop, found some Steenbok, a Big Tusker Elephant Bull and a Side Striped Jackal. Next to the river some Crocodiles at the half decomposed Elephant, and Hippos.

On our way back from Letaba found a small herd of Buffaloes right next to the road, and the 1 calf must have been a survival rescue by the herd, because his ears and tail were non-existing and the skin below his stomach was torn all over. Assume Lions got hold of it, and the herd came to its rescue.

:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next