Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Photographing people
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So did a bit of street photography in KNP the other day at the dam just west of Satara.

Post subject: Re: Photographing people
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 pm 

Ignorant morons :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:06 pm 

You can always send it in to the address Here
Just include as many details as possible.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
They look very relaxed walking around outside that car, very silly peeps :doh: :doh:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

........there's one born every minute :doh:
Wonder if it is a hired vehicle?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The lady in the striped orange and white socks looks like she saw a spider on the handle of the car. What if a predator mistook her striped socks for Zebra feet?

Visitors should not be so arrogant and ignore rules how they please :evil: , for their own safety and for other reasons.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

PNF wrote:
Your implication that drivers of hired vehicles don't know the rules is both absurd and somewhat offensive. I've been visiting KNP in a hired vehicle for 30+ years and even way back then, as an overseas visitor in a hired vehicle, I knew more about the rules than many locals whom I encountered.

I've been told in no uncertain terms on many ocassions that as an overseas visitor (and a female one to boot), I have NO business telling whomever how to behave in THEIR park. Not all overseas visitors and drivers of hired cars are ignorant :twisted: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Arks I'm sure PNF never meant it like that, maybe she/ he thought if it was a hired vehicle it would be more difficult to trace the culprits if they were reported

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
arks wrote:
PNF wrote:
Your implication that drivers of hired vehicles don't know the rules is both absurd and somewhat offensive. I've been visiting KNP in a hired vehicle for 30+ years and even way back then, as an overseas visitor in a hired vehicle, I knew more about the rules than many locals whom I encountered.

I've been told in no uncertain terms on many ocassions that as an overseas visitor (and a female one to boot), I have NO business telling whomever how to behave in THEIR park. Not all overseas visitors and drivers of hired cars are ignorant :twisted: :sniper:

I honestly don't think PNF meant what you are insinuating Arks :naughty: As Carol said, it might be more difficult to track the people down if the car was hired.

When telling someone they are doing something wrong (say getting our of their vehicle) it really depends a lot on how you tell them that what they are doing is wrong. It rarely helps when you are disrespectful. And yes, every person entering the park should know the rules, yet we know this is not always the case.

I do however wonder if there are statistics available indicating how many offenders are overseas tourists and how many are local? :hmz:

Tamboti: 21-24 August

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Agree with Carol g - That is exactly what I thought when I read PNF's post... the thought of how easy it would be to trace the reg. no - I honestly don't think PNF was implying anything by that :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am 

That's why its imperative to report as soon as possible.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There is a clause in hired vehicle agreements which binds the person who is renting the vehicle to any traffic violations for the period rented. This no doubt also applies to SANPark traffic violations like speeding

The only problem one may have in prosecuting on photographic evidence such as the one shown here is the question of whether this photo was indeed taken in the park.
Most modern cellphone cameras and normal cameras have gps location stamps which are automatically associated to a photograph and which will prove exact location almost down to a metre. My advice, try it out.

However, regardless of whether the transgressors are in a rental vehicle or privately owned, no prosecution will ever take place unless it is reported right away.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Arks - certainly did not mean what was written to infer that overseas visitors are always transgressors or what ever other interpretation you put into the question.
1. Other mites are correct in that the initial thought was that a hire car can be traced but would the hire company be willing to reveal the name/s of the lessee/s?
2. IF they happened to be overseas visitors were they English speaking? and if not, were the rules explained to them in such a manner that was understood? Our experience, unfortunately, is that the majority of first-time non-English speaking visitors are given the pamphlet with the rules (in English) and with their permit but only the the permit rules are adequately explained.

Hope that this explanation is sufficient to confirm that there was no adverse inference intended against any particular group of visitors.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:26 pm 

Thanks PNF! :thumbs_up:

What we do mostly nowadays is take the pic, then stop next to the offender and tell them as in the case above that they are breaking the rules of the park and perhaps why and to please get back into the car immediately in as nice a way as possible.
If they get aggressive, augmentative or ignore us then we simply drive away and they get reported.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:34 pm 

Leaving Nossob early morning May27th we were enjoying watching a ratel cross the road when a band of 4 Hilux bakkies shot past us at speed.End of sighting!
I tried to give chase to record their reg. no.s but at 80km/h could not catch up.....very frustrating
These guys were obviously hightailing out of the park
I think I have a solution to help combat speeding of this sort.
All exit times from camps are registered and a simple time over distance equation can be calculated by reception at the destination camp/gate to ascertain whether that vehicle has been speeding or not.
Even a notice to this effect would help stop these chancers/idiots
Any thoughts on this,not expensive too apply either