Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well after reading all this i am also green with jealousy!!
The two morning walks I've been on don't even come close to this!!
The first one i did was at LS and uneventful and we saw very little but it didn't matter to me as I wasn't out there to see animals.
I wanted to be in the bush and learnt a huge amount of the trees and spiders Irwing(the one guide- i cant remember the other) told us about.

The second was at Skukuza last year December and there we had to run for our lives as we walked into 3 white rhinos and we were clearly in their way of going!!!
what disappointed me was that the guide ran faster than any of us and the other were out doing a no 1 when the rhinos stormed past him!!!
well I can say it was a bit of an adrenalin rush and to see the guide that took a toilet break face!!!!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:24 pm 

I have been on many trails (think I can give WTM a go!) and were charged numerously by lions and ellies and rhino - always because we surprised the animals by walking down wind and not due to arrogant rangers / hikers.
The rangers had to shoot warning shots on four different occasions (and walks), but unfortunately they had to shoot and kill a charging rhino bull on our Napi trail in December '04.
It was a very bad and sad experience :( . I just love the bush and prefer the walks any day above a normal 'car visit' and trust that I will never have to witness such a tragedy again.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have mentioned this on other threads , but to me it was very special and perhaps worth sharing .
We were able to walk one Nov in the Lindanda plains area to the east of the S35 . The area was literally crawling with plains game , many small herds of zebra , wildebeest , impala etc , apparently they congregate in the area at that time of the year for a mini migration to Lower Sabie area .
What was different was that contrary to my experience , the animals showed little fear of us , just snorting , not fleeing , perhaps due to us being visible from afar and that we kept moving .
In the same area we came across a lone black rhino in the open and we were able to view from about 200 metres for a good 10 minutes without it being aware of us .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Drives & Walks
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:37 pm 

I was wondering if there is also a regular bush walk (just for a couple of hours) from Olifants Camp along the Olifants River?

I think I can remember about reading something about this...
Or am I confusing this with the Olifants River Back-Pack trail which lasts 4 days? - haven`t got enough time to do that this trip

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Post subject: Re: Drives & Walks
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Safrica,

there is indeed a river walk which will done via the Olifants camp but same is not that long (1 1/2 hours). The morning walk will take up to 4 hours but they will not walk along the Olifants river but nevertheless both walks are highly recommendable. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: How long are the walks
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:48 pm 

The walks at this time of the day start at 05h30 and you leave the camp in a open vehicle with your 2 Guides who would typically be qualified with SKS DG including Advanced rifle handling.
You drive to a spot in the section where your camp is situated and this could be an area of 103000 hectares (Mooiplaas section) or 66000 hectares in Letaba section as an example.
The vehicle is parked and the walkers are briefed and questioned and the walk commences at about 06h15 and finishes about 09h30 and back in camp about 10h00 having walked (in my experience) between 3 kms and 8 kms once when we got onto the trail of a lion at Bangu right at the beginning and the 4 of us pushed it tracking hard until we caught up with the Male.

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 pm 

Hi gsquaredb, the walks are most likely to start very early in the mornings in January so one walks in the cool of the day. In winter they set off from camp at 05:30 in the pitch dark in the game vehicle which takes you to the area you will walk in.

They take the groups to different areas so as not to impact too heavily on the bush. We walked in an area in Letaba they only walk in once a month.

The entire activity - drive out and back and walk lasts about 3-3.5 hours.

We have four guides from Kruger that post regularly on the forum - I am sure they will be happy to answer any questions you have!

Have a look here at the first four topics

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:30 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

If you get charged by an animal, which incidentally happens, not often, you stay where you are and listen to the guides. Nothing else!

Out of those 3 I would choose Lower Sabie, but that's because I like the vegetation there. There are 4 guides regulary posting about their walks and nightdrives, look them up, Dinkybird made a link a few posts back.

Clothing: depends on the weather of course, but in the morning it can be quite cold, so a vest will be handy. Sturdy shoes are a must, no slippers, and I would wear jeans. You're walking gametrails, so expect tough grass, small branches, brambles etc to reach out to your legs. And there might be dew on them.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:53 am 

Hi Yolandé,

Treating yourself to a walking experience is a must. Here are some tips from me. I have done a good few walks over the years, and never been in danger on any :D In a SANPark, one is only sent out with very experienced guides who are highly trained.

The drive out in the truck can be very chilly - go prepared.

You are given strict instructions how to behave on the walk - follow them.

Wear comfortable clothing - and if it is chilly, layer your clothing because as you walk, you will get hot.

Wear long pants and comfy takkies/sneakers/walking shoes. I have walked in shorts, and been fine. Just ended up with a few scratches on my legs.

Take a backpack with some water for along the way. The guides will provide a light snack during the walk.

On the last two walks we did, we came across rhino, and with the experience of the guides, the rhino were not at all bothered by us. We kept a safe distance, kept downwind of them and all was fine.

Don't go on a walk expecting to see many animals. Rather go along to experience being out in the bush on foot, being able to listen to the sounds of the bush and to learn about the little things in the bush.

Something that totally amazes me is when one sets off, if the guides hear an animal close by - one is taken within a safe distance of it. So - there is no set path the walk follows, and yet in the end, the guides bring you out the bush, right at the truck.

The pace of the walks differ from walk to walk and guide to guide. And they also take the group into consideration.

An awesome experience!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:14 am 
Guru
Guru

Coming from the guide side in Kruger, first thing first… a guide can never say when a walk would be back and for how long are going to walk.
I’m working for 10 months in Kruger now and not one day was the same.
In Lower Sabie our walks are between 4 -5 hours because our walking areas are all quite far from camp and it takes us a while to get there, because we want to give you that wilderness feeling.

Then again in January we leave at half past 4, a half an hour after the morning drive.
A walk is also more about the smaller things in life; it is not only about the big 5 and special animals but the smaller things in life that you won’t be able to see in your car.

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Post subject: Skukuza morning walk
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:11 pm 

We were on a morning walk I think It might have been 19 Oct 08 if my date is correct.
We had the best ever leopard sighting.
On the way to where we are going to walk were two leopards busy mating.
They were walking around, ''touching'' each other, calling each other and sharpening nails and walked against each other from one side of the road, then in the road then the other side then back again and so on.
We watched them for a while and the game ranger said it's his best ever leopard sighting and he is in the park for 19 years.

Post subject: Morning walks - General advice
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm 

My SO and I are planning our first morning walk and we need some general advice with regards to the following:

1. Fitness level - how far, how long and at what pace do we walk? (if my SO tag me along at the mall for 3 hours, will I keep up with her in the bush? :huh: )

2. Shoes - Do I need proper walking boots or will my flip-flops do?

3. Clothing - Long pants (to keep the bugs out) or short (incase I need to run), hat, etc.

4. General - Do I take water and snacks along? (what about an umbrella, camera, amarula, medical kit, cellphone, etc. etc?)

I'll rather ask the silly question here than be caught doing silly things in the bush....(like spilling the Amarula while talking on the cell! :big_eyes: )

Post subject: Re: Morning walks - General advice
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:50 pm 

Not silly questions at all Be@home!

Hope you find some answers here.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've been on 2 from Olifants Camp so here goes: I'm far from fit or thin and had no trouble at all keeping up and enjoying the experience. You may take along snacks or water. I used a daybackpack on both occasions. Although snacks were provided on the first walk, it rained during the second. I used walking shoes on both. Flip-flops will not be comfortable in the bush. Long pants or shorts - up to you. I always wear greens or browns, no bright Hawaiin shirts. Take with your camera, binoculars and a hat. Have fun. It's an awesome experience. 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:04 pm 

Hi

Hope u enjoy the bush walk its amazing every time
1) The pace of the walk and the distance is accordingly to the unfit person in the group
2) Long pants helps with scratces and ticks
3) And u will never run

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next