Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheetah Activity Around lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 am 

That's good news for the mothers sofar. Our next visits will be april 15-30 and november 11-27. we will certainly "chase" the fast cats.
For the time being 2 more picx.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Post subject: Re: Cheetah Activity Around lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:55 pm 

Isn't the mother a majestic cat? Thanks for sharing the photo's. Even if we don't spot cheetahs next week it is good to know that they are there and thriving except for the poor sod who got caught by the leopard - amazing what can happen in the animal kingdom!!

Post subject: Re: cheetahs
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would suggest that you drive the loops around Mlondozi dam over and over again - there are plenty of cheetah in this area. We saw a beautiful cheetah at Transport Dam that we have been told is frequently seen in the area so you may be lucky there otherwise Kruger will reveal what she chooses to - good luck.

Here is the Transport Dam cheetah

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 pm 

Good lens for that kind of money. :thumbs_up:

Got myself an older 170 - 500 mm and this is what I made 2 weeks ago:

:lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:00 pm 

This is the pic of the cheetah i saw on sat on the matjula loop road at about 2.30 pm. Cheetah2111 :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: , at long last i have now being able to upload a pic thanks to you. This :cam: 1 is for you

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:42 pm 

Seen last weekend at Rockvale WH on the S36

Post subject: Cheetah Marking its Territory at Transport Dam Video
Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:54 pm 

I spotted this Cheetah marking its territory at Transport Dam on Friday Morning 13/05/2011.

Post subject: Re: Cheetah Sightings and info.
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm 

Sherry and I have been very lucky with Cheetah in Kruger as well as KTP here are a couple in Kruger.

This cat is about 200 meters from the Sunset Dam Just walking down the road past us. There was quite a line of cars behind him/her

This one was part of a group of 3 who were walking next to us on the s137 when this one walked into the road and lay down. We were the only ones there.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:18 pm 

I stayed at Pretoriuskop with my wife and family for a few nights in December 2011.
The morning early my wife and I went out for a drive and we found absolutely nothing besides a few Impala, we went back to the camp and later the morning we went for another drive, and that was the best game viewing drive I have had to date at the Kruger.

We started our drive at about 11:00am and we drove up the S7 towards Phabeni Gate. 3km before the S3 turn we found a pride of 7 lions lying on the rocks, we stayed with them for a small period of time after which we drove on, at the point where the S7 & S3 meet we found a cheetah lying in the middle of the road, rolling and playing like a little kitten, we stayed with the cheetah for about 2 hours before we moved on and drove up the S3, we then turned down the S1 towards Skukuza and a few kilometers down the road we found a beautiful Leopard walking next to the road, it was a brief sighting but still at this point we could not believe our luck, continuing down the S1 we found rhino, elephant and loads of normal game.
Just before we got to Skukuza we found a pack of 9 Wild dogs lying next to the road, it was spectacular but due to time constraints we had to leave and headed back to Pretoriuskop.
On the way back down the S1 we found hyena and again loads of normal game.
We just turned down the S2 and we came across another pack of dogs, 3 this time running next to the car down the road but they eventually stopped and headed back up the S2 to Phabeni and we could not follow so we resided to go and see if the lions were still on the rocks before going into camp, we arrived where we left the lions but they were gone but not gone far, we found them a few kilometers down the road hunting what seemed to me like one of the largest herds of Buff I have seen in the Kruger, however we could not stay as we were now pushing our luck we moved on and arrived at the gate just in time for closing time.

SO to summarize:

Lion
Buffalo
Leopard
Wild dogs twice
Hyena
Cheetah
Elephant
Rhino

This all on one drive, the best drive ever.

However this was not the end of our luck, the next morning we drove out and found another cheetah just outside Pretoriuskop.
We moved to Lower Sabie and we found another 4 cheetah on the H10 about 5km from lower Sabie and on the way back to camp we saw a leopard just before the camp gate.

The 4th day we drove down towards croc bridge as we were going to stay with family in Komati and found another leopard on the S28 by Nlanganwani water hole. Fantastic.

Staying in komati we drove in everyday, ad our luck could not get any better but it did. we drove up towards Lower Sabie and turned down the S137 towards the S28, (One of my favorite roads in the Kruger) Just before reaching the S28 we found a mother cheetah with 5 cubs.
We sat with her for a while and drove down the S28 back towards crock bridge.
Again we found another 3 male cheetah lying next to the road, however there were loads of vehicles so we moved on, just before we reached the H4-2 we came across something really interesting, another 8 cheetah, it was strange because there was 2 adult females and 6 cubs. I have never seen 2 mothers together.

The next morning we drove back to Johannesburg, to this day I have never seen so many cheetah in the park, we saw 19 individual cheetahs, 3 leopards and 2 wild dog sightings in 3 days. Lucky much??

This was spectacular but the best place to see cheetah is not the Kruger, the S28 is amazing and you have a great chance to see these majestic cats but there is one place were your probability is better, I have seen 16 different cheetah in one day in the central Kalahari game reserve in Botswana. funny also in the month of December but back in 2001.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm 

Donavan,

Fantastic. The most Cheetah we've ever seen at one time was 4 on the H10 and I thought that was super.

Bob

Post subject: Cheeta Mother seeing something on other side of S60 (Video)
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:39 pm 

I saw this mother with her two kids wanting to cross the road, but too afraid for some reason. I could not see what worried her so much, even looking into the direction she looked with binoculars could not reveal the source of her discomfort. She joined her kids and vanished into the bush. Enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Cheeta Mother seeing something on other side of S60 (Vid
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:59 pm 

Very interesting video, her instincts were definitely telling her something!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice video thank you for posting. Maybe she had seen lion??? With the bush being the colour it is it would be vey easy to miss.

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Shame she looks very agitated, just wants to protect her babies , thanks for posting :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:27 pm 

Shushin, we saw lion there quite often. Some of our friends also saw this threesome Cheetas in that area Punda regulars like to call the "Triangle". But lions are more than ample in that area witth some of the absolutely hugest buffalo groups I have ever seen. These cheetas like to be on the S61 towards Klopperfontein as well. Friends saw them at that huge baobab on the way to Klopperfontein, then others saw them on the S59. No problem with cars, they will walk alongside cars without hesitation. One actually gets the feeling they think the cars are "on their side". Wonderful area that. And also with the elephants partying in Klopperfontein dam from 13h00 onwards. I think I have something on them as well. Will search tomorrow.

Cheers

Pieter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next