SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Thanks snoobab. Have you done any of the other trails?

Hi 50s. Done the Northern plains & Nononkani at Palaborwa gate. 4x4 needed on both during the rain season due to a few "mud puddles" on the Northern plains similar to the ones on the Mananga, & river crossings on the Nononkani. Dry season the northern Plains could be done with 2x4 but not without some damage to the environment. The Nononkani in the dry season is still going to need 4x4. The Mananga is up next in January if it is open after the rain. :dance:

The NP trail has some dramatic Baobab scenery & the N'kani is just brilliant with some very good spots all over to sit in the shade of a tree with only the sounds around. Just watch out for the Ellies, it gets a bit tight.

Post subject: Re: Mananga Adventure Trail
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:20 am 

Hawk and I did this adventure trail again and now I am clear on which way to go!!!

When coming to the 'crossway' at the two windmills, keep to the right of the concrete reservoir and take that track to the S100. When upon returning to the same 'crossway' turn right at the windmills and follow the track for a short distance which then leads through the river bed and out onto the last part of the trail.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 am 

Hi Riverrat,

We did the trail on the 19th of October. - Brilliant!!! We did not spot another soul for 5 hours - pure bliss to have Kruger all to ourselves.

This is not so much a 4x4 route as a four wheel drive route. Most places a sedan would have coped.
Riverrat wrote:
1. current thickness of vegetation

The veld was extremely dry so visibility was excellent and game spotting easy.

Riverrat wrote:
amount of mud / passability of the water-crossings

The water crossing was no problem as everything was very dry there was no mud at all.

Riverrat wrote:
main focus of bigger game herds at the moment

We saw all the plain animals in abundance ( Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Zebra ( Huge Herd ) , wildebeest,waterbuck, ) also large amounts of steenboks. a few lone Buffalo's. Many of the herds had babies with them.

The birding was great especially the birds of prey, fish eagles, Bateleur, ground horn bills, koribastad, saddle billed stork, and many of the smaller species.

Large pod of Hippo,Jackals, 2 sightings of Lion, and Rhino , Huge troops of baboons, monkeys,

We were lucky to see all of the big five on the day we did the trail ( elephant just before starting the trail and leopard with her Kill about 10/15 km on the main road to Olifants. )

An absolutely brilliant day. :D :D

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:47 pm 

We left the tar at 8:15
We were staying at Balule so left early 5:30. On way to Satara saw Hyena, Lion twice, elephant three times, grazers, squirrel so stopped a few times on way. We were the first on the trail.

Riverrat wrote:
what time did you start the trail (go off the tar road)?

Left tar to start trail at 8;15 - left trail to join the gravel road ( last point on trail at 13:52.

Then traveled along the gravel road back to tar.
Slow drive back to Satara book out of trail.

Riverrat wrote:
Did you do multiple circuits?

We only did one circuit, a small back track along the s100 ( cause it is my favorite road ) ( :evil: SO - Says S100 sucks!) :twisted: ( :hmz: every family have their differences!!!!)
It took close to 6 hours.

We stopped often for birds, photos, video, leg stretch, just for fun , waterholes, dams, anything that moved.

New family tradition started - ice cream break on 4x4 trail ( keeping the ice cream frozen till break time - even more fun!!)

Where are you staying?

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good day, all.

I see earlier on in this thread that the instructions were confusing in parts. Is that still the case? I don't have a GPS for our trip, so I'm hoping the map and instructions would be enough to find my way in, and then out once again. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Stark, you should be able to cope without a GPS - the trail is marked and visible for most of the way. If you would feel more comfortable with guides though - just shout any excuse to go to Kruger will be grabbed with both hands! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:26 pm 

Good Day to All,

I am leaving for KNP on Saturday (10th Jan) and am hoping to do the Mananga Adventure Trail this coming Monday. I am aware of the fact that one can only book the trail on the day because of rain, however in reading through all the posts now I started to get worried that the trail is closed for the full duration of the wet months, or am I mis-understanding, I sure hope so. :? . I normally always visit the park in the dry months of June or July, so if it is just a case of the trail being closed after rains, can those in the know give me an idea of how often the trail is in fact closed at this time of year, is it a case of it rains more than half the week, so there is a less than 50% chance of it being open on the day? :hmz:

Thanks otherwise to all the regulars in these forums, I love reading all the great info here.

Regards, Andrew

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm 

I have understood that is why they will not allow you to book the night before - only on the day. As it could rain heavily the night before.

Post subject: Re: Advice on Mananga trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:12 am 

Hi Andrew

Going it alone, I think is an excellent idea.

This is the beauty of the type of trial, when you check in with reception, pay for the trial, and a deposit which you get back on your return, if by chance you dont they wiil come and look for you.

If you are terribly unlucky you may also bump into other trialists, Ive done may of the trials many of times, and if I can count the times I have met up with other vehicles it would be on one hand.

Go out there and enjoy it

G

Post subject: Re: Advice on Mananga trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm 

Oops - sorry, I just posted the link, never checked if you'd seen the topic before.

One of the members of the forums was in fact stuck over night on the trail. But I do think it was after some rain, and they got bogged down in the one of the clay areas.

But I think you can do it on your own quite safely. Just take extra water and other emergency provisions for 'just in case'.

In August the bush should be pretty dry. If I can remember correctly there are the odd spots you have to push through bush that could scratch, but rather wait for someone who knows the trail better than I do to comment on that one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm 

Hi All,

We are going to try Mananga trail in late May.
Does someone know what cars are allowed on this trail?
Can we rent Nissan X-Trail or Landrover Freelander?
Or only real 4x4 are allowed? Like Landrover Defender, Toyota Hilux e.t.c.

Kind regards,
Oleg

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Land R Freelander / Nissan X Trail / Toyota RAV / Honda CRV is permitted -(make sure the Nissan/Toyota is the 4 x 4 type , there is/was a 4 x 2 version as well) .
Also read my posting above - it is at times closed to all vehicles .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Satara - Mananga 4x4 Route sightings
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:06 pm 

Took the route in 2009 and had a truly fantastic sighting of a Lioness with three cubs. We were so close I could take full body shots with an 85mm lens. The cubs were very playful. Great experience. On the way back we took the non-4x4 route and saw what I assume were other pride members and more bubs. Very much enjoyed it but saw not too much else, so I guess luck of the draw.

Post subject: Re: Satara - Mananga 4x4 Route sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi cptphotographer
Maybe this will also help

Post subject: Mananga Adventure Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm 

So, we are back from the KNP, time went by so quickly

But to let you know

We had amazing sightings and great warm (but windy days)

We also did the 4X4 adventure trail from Pretoriuskop as the weather on the last day was terrible, and we needed something else to do

If you EVER stay there and you drive a 4X4, please take an extra day to do the trail

It was absolutely amazing. The best experience that I could have. The terrain is 4X4 valley, however, you will be able to do it with 4X2. (even I got a chance to drive my hubby’s Hilux) and I have a 14 month old son who enjoyed it so much!

The idea, of being alone in the bush, is the most awesome feeling in the world. Spending all the time you want at any given point. We saw elephant, rhino, hippos, zebra, antelope etc.

The trail is about 40km long, and takes about 6 hours.

I want to book the Satara one when we go again, has anyone been?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next