Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:46 pm 

Riverrat, I have just done the trail, worth every single cent. Never seen so many animals in one day, and so close up.

Watch my 2 week report coming up, as I have made a comprehensive list of waterholes etc with their coordinates, including Mananga trail.

Post subject: Trails
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:29 am 

Hi All / KNP Spokes (Now 40)

Done all four at various times of the year. TOTAL Bush is what I go for. Solitude, hardly ever see another sole or vehicle for that matter, if I happen to see someone ahead, I slow down, if someone approaches from behind, which has happened once or twice, I let them pass. Allways have brunch packed, and the necessary refreshments and beverages.

Memories of the trails
Madlabantu - getting caught in a thunderstorm whilst out on trail, believe me that's why you need 4x4.
Mananga - Wildebeest, zebra, and elephant like a small migration. Photographing a baby boomslang, extreme close ups from the vehicle.
Nonokani - never seen so many Golden Aubs in my life, getting charged by a hippo whilst trying to cross the overflow onto the dam wall en route.
Northern Plains - really big bull elephants, watching tsetsebe running into a dam and "hide" with only their noses sticking out. Sitting at a waterhole/dam, and being enveloped in a buffalo herd 800 strong.

The reason why I haven't reported on them before, I probably want to try and keep it as quiet as possible to enjoy for many years to come. Yes game viewing is generally good, depending what you are looking for, but for a Bush Junkie like myself, plenty to see and explore.

Lebombo Trail - what a way to go.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:51 am 

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Is a 4x4 a must ? Will a 2x4 with diff lock be ok ? I am going to Satara next month (September) so I guess there won't be much of a chance of rain. I would really love to do the Mananga trail.
Your answers will be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks !
Jean

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:22 am 

Jean

Do not be fooled. I just came from Satara,and we had rain one day.Not much, but rain.

Mananga trail can be done with diff lock. The middleman is bit high and the river crossing at the two windmills is a bit tough. The rest no problem.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:54 am 

Sorry 4x4 only

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Groovy is correct. Have a look at the page about it.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:51 pm 

Just to clarify my statement.

The trail can be done with a 4x2 with diff lock. However Sanparks only allows 4x4 due to impact.

Having done this trail, I would suggest Sanparks maybe look at 4x2 as well, as there is no place on the trail that a 4x2 will cause more 'damage' than a 4x4.

If the trail is wet a 4x4 will have less impact, but so would a diff lock feature. If it is wet the trail is closed anyway.

Not to start a whole debate on this, it is just my opinion.

Post subject: 4X4 TRAILS
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 pm 

I am very keen to do one or two of these trails in Dec/Jan. However, I have a very new Prado and would hate for the paintwork to be scratched. Are the trails likely to cause damage or are the roads well cleared of vegetation on both sides? The 4x4 driving part does not worry me.
Which trails are best to start with. We will be winding our way down from Sirheni to Lower Sabie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 pm 

HI 50something.

I did the trail with a Jeep Commander ( similar size to Prado).
I left without any scratches. Must add, I did it in August(late winter) so vegetation was no problem.

Summer might be different. The only thing was the middle man was a bit high and some vegetation growing there can scratch the bottom. The only place that was a "tight" squeeze was between the two trees by the waterhole.

Remember when you do this trail, when getting to the first dam, the road you should follow goes behind it, in other words the way you just came from. The road in front is the one that comes by the same waterhole when you return.

If you are conserned about scratches, maybe use disifix or something similar on the sides of the car.

Just remember this trail will in no way test the 4x4 capabilities of your vehicle.

As you can only book on the day you go, and offices only open at 07H00, I do not know if it will be as good as in winter, due to the gates opening at 04H30 in summer and 06H30 in winter.

Witnessed a cheetah killing a waterbuck where the trail intersects with the S100.

Post subject: 4X4 TRAILS
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:43 am 

Jakoventer, thanks for your helpful comments.
I thought that one could also book the trails the night before.
Is that wrong? You don't mention which trails you think I should start with.
Any suggestions?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 am 

50something - hi :D

We have done the Mananga Trail, and were only able to book it on the morning we wished to do the trail.

We took our brand new Land Cruiser on the Lebombo trail in September this year - it came back sans any scratches. There is something one can paint on vehicles that saves the paint work I believe. (Hope I am not dreaming here!) I asked my SO - and he says he also does not think one is likely to get scratches on the Mananga Trail. It is mostly through open veld.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am 

The booking rule is there for the event of rain. If it rains the trails are closed. And believe me, being there in early August, one does not expect rain, and sure enough we got rain the one day.

I cannot comment on the other trails, have only done Mananga so far. My preference of camps currently limits me to this trail.

Be ready to see loads and loads of animals on this trail. A taste of the numbers we saw is as follows:

1. Giraffe - 30 stopped counting then (one group)
2. Kudu - 20 in one group
3. Zeb 100+
4. Buff 100+
5. Waterbuck Lots of big groups
6. Cheetah 1
7. Lots of eles
8. Not much impis

The day I did the trail, we came across one other vehicle only. Another Jeep as it happened to be. We were alone for 95% of the trail. Took 5 1/2 Hours to complete the 40 odd km's. 15km/h felt like speeding. Stopped in clear places and got out for some cof and bfast. You are allowed to get out on this trail, but subject to certain rules which you receive when you book.

The start of the trail is about 4km north of Satara on the H1-4 and not 11km as stated on the brochure. You then loop to the S100 where you turn right towards S41. Then left on S41 for a km or so and then back on the trail zig zagging back to the S90 close to Mavumbye waterhole where the trail ends.

As you near the S100 there is some very small enclosures on the right, which no one has been able to tell me what it is for. I think there was about 5 of them.

The only place where you must have a 4x4 to pass the trail is when crossing a dry riverbed (I think it is the Mavumbye). They have packed rocks and tied it down with wire to make it easier to cross, but I am sure a normal sedan will struggle or damage something crossing here. But as I said before, no test of capabilities, no need for low range at all. Which is perfectly fine for me.

Hope this wets the tastebuds a bit.

Post subject: mananga trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I hope it is not too wet to accomodate a Honda CR-V .
Anyone with advice concerning CR-V 's capability concerning this trail ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:12 am 

As long as it is a 4x4 ndloti. Not to familiar with the CR-V, more of a american car supporter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:

We took our brand new Land Cruiser on the Lebombo trail in September this year

:evil: Whats this, crossing over to the enemy camp.

50s I did the Mananga trail in Sept this year. Most of the trail is clear and open but there are parts that branches brush against your car. A little spit and polish afterwards removes everything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next