Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Old photos of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I went through my Dad's old pics today and found these gems.

Taken on his first trip to Kruger in 1958.

Numbi Gate

Skukuza Hut

Skukuza Restaurant

Hippo Pools

A postcard bought on that same trip...love the cars. :D

My 3rd or 4th trip to Kruger...me in the middle with my Mom and brother at Kruger Gate in 1979. Not sure about those 70s/80s fashions...my brother looks like a girl!! :lol: And I see we're both sporting our little Kodak cameras....oh what lovely pics we got with those...not!!! :roll:

1982 at Satara (I think) with my Dad and brother.

Our best lion sighting of that same trip in 1982 near Lower Sabie. My Dad took the two pics and only realised afterwards that they fitted together.

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks Flutterby for sharing and would like to get those pics in high res if ok with you and I would want include them in the book that I have been assigned to put together.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:48 am 

:dance: :dance: Jipppiiiieeee!!!! There is going to be a book!!!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I was looking at some old photos and I came across this one (1981). Its the Steam train restaurant at Skukuza. I dont think it has changed too much BUT the children have the eldest Boy is no other than BALLECHIN and the little one is dad to 4 children !!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 am 

Can anyone please advise me on how to convert slides into scanned photograghs?
My dad had plenty slides from the 70's that I would like to go through and post for you all to see.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You need a slide scanner and lots of time , or certain photographic shops will do it at a cost .
Maybe a keen photographer forumite in your area will assist ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Dee Ho all. I found two more photos in my Dads old album.

Leeu Pan 1952.

scan0037 by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Also from 1952 - check the old Pontiac. This photo was taken at the guest house of a ranger (I think) who my folks knew very well at Skukuza. In the photo are Mom in the middle and my two elder brothers as I was only 6 at the time I am not in the photo. I am not sure who the lady is on the left of the photo behind my one brother. Now this ranger ( I think ) name was Sandenberg and we used to go and stay with them quite often as my dad was principal of Uplands School in White River and my Mom was the matron. As far as I know the Sandenbergs children went to Uplands and this is where my folks got to know the Sandenbergs. Can anyone give more information on the Sandenbergs?

scan0036 by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Col Sandenbergh was seconded from the Air Force to succeeded James Stevenson - Hamilton as park warden .

(I have seen a photo of James Stevenson Hamilton standing in front of a similar looking building .)

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:56 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Steamtrainfan,

Two great pics and thanks for posting. That building is none other than the current Struben Gues Cottage, which at the time was outside the Skukuza camp. It was designed by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton and was used for guests of the warden. I would appreciate if you could give me the names of the persons on the pic and also who the photographer was?

Dear Skydiver,

I have a slide scanner and am willing to assist if need be.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 pm 

Joep Stevens wrote:
That building is none other than the current Struben Gues Cottage, which at the time was outside the Skukuza camp. It was designed by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton and was used for guests of the warden.
JOEP

Is that the guest cottage in the middle of the camp, right by the shop? I remember seeing it on my recent trip and thinking what an odd place to build accommodation. All is explained. It's lovely to hear about the history of the various buildings.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:29 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Saraf,

It lies between the Papenfus Clock Tower and the Goldfields Auditorium (which lies behind Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial Library). It lies left of the footpath (which until recently used to be main road) down from Reception to Shop Complex. It's still has much of it's old design.

Thanks for interest!

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Moderater. I have the book "60 Years - Kruger Park" which was published by the National Parks Board of Trustees in 1958. I believe this is quite a rare book. There are some lovely old photos of Kruger Park of which I think 7 would be of interest to this thread. I would like to post these pictures onto this thread but I am not sure if that would be a breach of copyright. How do you feel about it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I don't think that it will be a problem. Just mention the author, publisher and other detail. After all you will be posting the photos on their own website and, you are not making money out of it. I would love to see the photos.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:31 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: As long as you quote the relevant acknowledgements for the source and authors, it should be perfectly okay to post pics. Unless there is a specific clause in the book to the contrary, which seldom is the case.

Looking very forward to these delightful old pics ... :dance: :dance:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Okey dokey here goes. I just cannot resist attaching these photos as for us "ou toppies" like myself they are an absolute treasure to behold. I can so remember these days as a 6 year old being totally fascinated by the camps, the guard with his spear at the gates, the fires burning from which you would go and fetch coal to cook your meal, the cars - sans airconditioning - that could fit a whole family of 5 in with ease and great comfort and so I could go on. My only hope is that the younger generation also enjoy looking back at they the way our beloved Kruger Park was.

These photos are from a book entitled " 60 years Kruger Park" and published by The National Park Board of Trustees of the Union of South Africa, Pretoria in 1958. The book was compiled by R L Labuschagne Liason Officer of the National Parks Board. The photographs are by W F Schack Photographer of the National Parks Board.

NUMBI GATE - ONE OF SIX ENTRANCES INTO THE PARK.
scan0049 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

THE PONTOON ACROSS THE OLIFANTS RIVER.

scan0054 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

VISITORS VIEWING THE ELEPHANTS AT THE LETABA REST CAMP.
scan0053 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

scan0055 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

THIS PICTURE HAS NO CAPTION BUT I THINK IT IS SKUKUZA RESTAURANT.
scan0056 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

PRETORIUSKOP REST CAMP
scan0057 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

PAFURI PICNIC SPOT
scan0058 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next