Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: WildCard system not functional?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:00 am 

We have had some interesting interactions with regard to our WildCard which leads to a number of questions. We have a physical wildcard which was issued two years ago. This has been renewed online and we have a confirmation letter. We keep the two together at all times. We have been informed that the existing card can be updated (on the chip) with the renewal information at any one of the parks. This certainly was the case on the old system.

On a recent trip to Cape Point their office revealed that they have no network connection (and never have had one) so they can only visually check the card/letter, but cannot update information. At the same time they have no record of us being there.

At Boulders they have a network connection but have no way of registering that we, as WildCard members, had entered the park. All they can do is access the system, verified visually that our membership is there, and visually check the dates. They too have no record of us being there.

The same applies to Silvermine.

These interactions took place over an extended period of time, so it could not have been because of a temporary hitch. At any rate, the staff acknowledged that the new system does not record the entrance of a WildCard member.

We are curious. We have a WildCard, and it gains us entrance to the parks, but it does not record the fact that we visited each park. If this is so for us, then it must be the same for every WildCard entering the parks. How is WildCard recording its membership usage? Is this possibly the reason why we are not seeing any roll out of a rewards system, because WildCard has no idea how many times the cards are being used?

Post subject: Re: WildCard system not functional?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The ongoing WildCard debacle must surely be a thorn in the side of Sanparks? Why, when there are regular concerns, issues and complaints on this forum, does Sanparks not give any response (other than by long suffering mods trying to help out third hand)? What is going on with the system? Will these ongoing issues ever be resolved and if so, when? :?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sounds to me like its open to abuse

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ooh, my favourite topic!

Its now almost 3 years since SANParks took over the Wild Card, and the only change for me is that I lose out on the 5% I used to get back from my Park bookings (used to pay for my renewal.) What happened to all the great benefits we were to get?

I worry every year now if my renewal will work before we go to KNP on 26 Dec. Last March (2012) it worked at Skukuza, but not at Orpen.
If you are staying over no-one checks at the gate if you match your wild card, even the receptions only check the card against your reservation.

If it was a half decent system, by now our reservations would be linked to the card. Just think of all the trees that would be saved.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:10 pm 

The system is a joke. Somebody needs a serious wake-up call!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

HiltonP wrote:
We have had some interesting interactions with regard to our WildCard which leads to a number of questions. We have a physical wildcard which was issued two years ago. This has been renewed online and we have a confirmation letter. We keep the two together at all times. We have been informed that the existing card can be updated (on the chip) with the renewal information at any one of the parks. This certainly was the case on the old system.

On a recent trip to Cape Point their office revealed that they have no network connection (and never have had one) so they can only visually check the card/letter, but cannot update information. At the same time they have no record of us being there.

At Boulders they have a network connection but have no way of registering that we, as WildCard members, had entered the park. All they can do is access the system, verified visually that our membership is there, and visually check the dates. They too have no record of us being there.

The same applies to Silvermine.

These interactions took place over an extended period of time, so it could not have been because of a temporary hitch. At any rate, the staff acknowledged that the new system does not record the entrance of a WildCard member.

We are curious. We have a WildCard, and it gains us entrance to the parks, but it does not record the fact that we visited each park. If this is so for us, then it must be the same for every WildCard entering the parks. How is WildCard recording its membership usage? Is this possibly the reason why we are not seeing any roll out of a rewards system, because WildCard has no idea how many times the cards are being used?

Well , IMHO , it appears the Wildcard has just become an easy tool to collect a lot of conservation fees up front :tongue: If you use it fully , then you basically get your money's worth , however , if you only use it a couple of times a year , then SANPARKS gains ( make a profit , so to speak ) . And basically they try to keep administration costs as low as possible , otherwise there is nothing in it for them ......
And apart from this , for you as a Wildcard holder , there is no real benefit derived from having it :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:45 pm 

We visited the West Coast National Park this weekend and found that they too do not appear to be able to update Wildcards, or track any history of its usage. Fortunately we had our (now very well used) letter and that gave us entrance.

So that is four out of four for the South Western Cape parks where they have no record of us, is Wildcard holders, having entered their parks. Incredible.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DavenJan wrote:
Ooh, my favourite topic!

Its now almost 3 years since SANParks took over the Wild Card, and the only change for me is that I lose out on the 5% I used to get back from my Park bookings (used to pay for my renewal.) What happened to all the great benefits we were to get?

If it was a half decent system, by now our reservations would be linked to the card. Just think of all the trees that would be saved.

I agree with the above, and with other comments regarding the inefficient/ secretive nature of the administration of the Wild Card. I don't know how many times we have been told to await the roll-out of wonderful benefits, but it must be at least three and - hello?????

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
But if they don't have a record how do they know if you are still in the park or if you left...... Sorry just my 2 c. If I understand this you can be living it up somewhere in the bush or worse laying in a ditch........

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:46 pm 

salamanda..... That is my point. We, as Wildcard holders, have visited four parks this year (some more than once), and yet there is no record of a system of us entering the parks. Without that information they cannot institute any sort of loyalty system because they have no idea where, or how often, the card is being used.

To be honest, I gave up on loyalty systems many years ago, so I'm not expecting anything from Wildcard, but it would be nice if SANParks just acknowledged that it is an access card and little else.

NetEk..... In fairness to SANParks they cannot know that, whether you are a Wildcard member or not. There is no record kept of each vehicle entering, and then existing, each park (like an accounting system).

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
HiltonP wrote:
NetEk..... In fairness to SANParks they cannot know that, whether you are a Wildcard member or not. There is no record kept of each vehicle entering, and then existing, each park (like an accounting system).

Yes I get that but with "paying" customers at least there is some form of a "audit trail"

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well , the Wildcard saves you from paying daily conservation fees , even when entering a park as a day-visitor . What happens say , if someone lends his Wildcard to a friend in order to save the friend paying the fee ?
Now , what controls need to be put into place for that :hmz: Because , certainly your ID is not always checked , so the system is actually easily abused :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .