Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WILDcard / international visitors
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:05 pm 

Dear all,

Can anyone please clearify me on this: are we as an international couple able to get entry with the purchase of the SanParks Cluster Card (R535 for a couple)? Or do we need to buy the International All Parks Cluster Card (R2,195).

We do not need acces to all the parks, so the SanParks Cluster Card would be the best suitable for us.

Got though the threads already, but could not find an answer on that. Sorry if I have read over something!

Thanks a lot!
Mel

Post subject: Re: WILDcard / international visitors
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Meleah and Welcome!

Sorry to disappoint you but we international visitors have ONLY the option of buying the international visitors card. The reason being, as I understand it, that as we do not pay RSA taxes, we pay a higher conservation fee and are also not given the option of any of the any of the cards that are limited to smaller groupings of parks. I expect that this may be because there are far fewer international visitors than locals, so no need to provide a wider variety of options to a small segment of cardholders.

Enjoy your trip!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:22 pm 

Hi arks and thanks for your reply,

mhmmm.... well, I might have known it. :|
I think we then will pay the conservation fee per day and person. Do they charge per day or per night? So we will stay 5 nights.

Well, it is for a good cause.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm 

If you are an overnight visitor, they are supposed to charge per 24 hour period, but sometimes they charge part of the day. At current prices (until 31st Oct 2012) an international couples card is R2195.00, conservation fees for a couple for 5 nights in Kruger is R1920.00, for 6 nights is R2304 so break even is between the 2. If you are going anywhere else in South Africa or plan on returning within 12 months, then it would be worth your while getting a Wild Card.

Most international visitors to SA tour the country so having the Wild Card for so many parks could be useful, rather than restricting it to just SANParks. The reason we pay more in Conservation fees is the tax aspect as Arks explained.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:53 pm 

Ok, I understand, thank you saraf.
Yes, before going to the Kruger we will spend two weeks in the cape area :-) *love it* and for sure we will do the table mountain /cape of good hope np as well. I also read that you get a discount on the cable car for example with the WILDcard. Well, have to think about that and which spots covered by the wildcard we would do as well in addition.

And at this point, my high compliments to this forum. I am here for 2 day now and got very helpful answers and hints from you guys! Feel in good hands! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:34 pm 

Hi Meleah,

One of things we forumites love to do when we aren't in the parks, is to help out others who are going to the parks, so I'm glad we've helped out.

Have a look on the Wild Card site here, it will give you more of an idea of what you can do in the Cape with your Wild Card. Don't forget to go and see the penguins near Simon's Town.

One thing I would advise is to get your "card" before you go. The Cape is one of the few areas where it is actually difficult to get one. Even if you pay for one in the parks you don't actually get a physical card, just a confirmation slip. Your personalised card is sent later and you still have to go online later to update your details. If you buy one online before you leave, you will get a confirmation email that the parks will accept as proof.

I'm going to ask the Mods to move this thread to the Wild Card area, as it contains information that may be useful to others, please don't be alarmed if you find it moved.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:13 pm 

Hi saraf,

saraf wrote:
One of things we forumites love to do when we aren't in the parks, is to help out others who are going to the parks, so I'm glad we've helped out.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Have just bookmarked the direkt link to the WILDcard site. Will have an eye on it.
And we will definitely visit my belowed penguins again (have already visited them in 2oo9). :great:

Ok, so if we decide that the card is the best thing for us, we will purchase it directly online. Seems to be the easiest way. Thank you for moving the thread to the WILDcard area - were it fits better!

Have a good evening!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am 

saraf wrote:
If you are an overnight visitor, they are supposed to charge per 24 hour period, but sometimes they charge part of the day. At current prices (until 31st Oct 2012) an international couples card is R2195.00, conservation fees for a couple for 5 nights in Kruger is R1920.00, for 6 nights is R2304 so break even is between the 2. If you are going anywhere else in South Africa or plan on returning within 12 months, then it would be worth your while getting a Wild Card.

Most international visitors to SA tour the country so having the Wild Card for so many parks could be useful, rather than restricting it to just SANParks. The reason we pay more in Conservation fees is the tax aspect as Arks explained.

Hi,

Wondering if you can help me out. I am an international visitor to kruger. I am heading over in september, my third visit. Absolutely love KNP. My wife and I are stayin seven nights. I saw you discussing couples cards. I have not heard of these. Is this a cheaper option for us instead of paying the daily conservation fees on arrival?
appreciate your advice

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:49 am 
Hi Kiwi1

As mentioned in one of the previous posts the break even point for a couple is between five and six days. So for a seven night stay you will benefit by buying the card.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 am 

Thanks Joao,

I just read the posts more closely and saw that. Thanks for the reply tho.
i got a bit excited when I saw the couples card for R535. Thought I was about to save some BIG dollars.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:57 pm 

Hi Meleah

If you are spending some time in Cape Town then the West Coast NP is a possible day trip, your WildCard would get you in there for free and it is a fantastic park.

Enjoy your trip,

Regards

DASSIEDELIGHT

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 B 'n ' Dal
6 Skukuza
7/8 Tamboti
9/10/11 Shimuwini
12/13/14 Shingwedzi
15/16/17/18/19 Letaba

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm 

Dear DASSIEDELIGHT,

Thank you! I've already read about the West Coast NP .... about 2 hours from Hout Bay if I got this right in mind? Is this realistic? Hmm, this would be a possible day trip I need to have a closer look to. :think:
Then the WILDcard would be worthwile if we would do Kruger, Table Mountain NP and the West Coast NP.
Good hint!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WCNP is definitely worth a visit, one of my favourite places. And remember that each of the parts of TMNP — Boulders for the penguins, Cape Point (which has LOTS else than just the point/lighthouse), Silvermine, amongst others — is a separate entry, so having a WildCard is a plus.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks to all for the queries and the great responses! As indicated by Saraf, please acquire Wild Card membership online before visiting Cape Town as buying there is a problem. Buying online is quick and you get a number which you can then quote at points of admission and camps. Wild Card provides free admission at Cape Point and Boulders and gets you a good discount on the Table Mountain Cableway. Yes, conservation fees are payable per night for overnight guests.

Best wishes and enjoy South Africa and it's great natural and cultural heritage!

JOEP STEVENS
joep.stevens@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:40 pm 

Joep and all the others: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Could not enough say this.

So I guess I will order the WILDcard online in advance to use it at

* Kruger
* Cape Point (as must for us ...love it so much)
* Table Mountain NP / discount on cable car
* West Coast NP

I read it will take up to 4 weeks for the card to arrive by registered mail .... so I think for touring in October, August would be best month to order to have absolutely enough time, right?

Enjoy your evening!