Skip to content

Conservation Services

Archived News

A Gift from the Past

Date: 2007-06-22


The 31st of May saw Kruger National Park celebrate its 109th birthday in a ceremony at Pretoriuskop. This was a fitting opportunity to hand over a valuable historical memento to the park. The 'gift' was donated to the park by Tsitsikamma Honorary Rangers Andre and Mignonne van Heerden.



While visiting a Port Elizabeth antique shop, they found an advertisement for Kruger National Park dating from a 1926 edition of The London Illustrated Times. This is probably the oldest advert for the park, and certainly the oldest one to be preserved in this way.


The park was still referred then as “The Great South African Game Reserve”. Instead of keeping it themselves, they framed it and donated it to Kruger to be put on public display in the park.


 


Click on images to expand

Captions:

Chris Patton hands over the framed historical advert to Dr Mkhize

A close up of the advert reveals a historical game viewing scene from the Pretoriuskop Area