Media Release: Shingwedzi reopens some of its facilities to tourists
“The Park experienced heavy rains at the beginning of each year with most of our infrastructure such as tourist roads, bridges, picnic spots and bush camps badly affected; however this year we were completely devastated when the whole of Shingwedzi submerged,” said the KNP’s General Manager: Communications & Marketing, William Mabasa.
Although no human life was lost in the Park due to the floods, staff members and tourists at Shingwedzi lost all their belongings, had to pick up the pieces and move on. The repair process, to hopefully restore the Camp’s essence of the bush and rustic feel is on course.
The facilities and services at Shingwedzi which will be open to tourists for now are: the Reception, Temporary Tuck shop, Filling Station, Camping Site and units found at B circle that will gradually be reopened before 30 June 2013.
The following facilities are still closed:
- Day Visitors areas (new and old site);
- Bird hide at Kanniedood dam (to open by the end of August 2013);
- Swimming pool (to open by the end of August 2013);
- Restaurant (to open in September 2013);
- A Circle units (to open by the end of August 2013);
- The S50 road alongside the Shingwedzi River via Kanniedood dam;
- The Dipeni outpost will open on 20 June 2013.
There will be a special welcome for guests checking-in at Shingwedzi tomorrow; and to book or find out availability of accommodation, please call the central reservations on 012 428 9111.
Shingwedzi Rest Camp under water in January 2013
South African National Park (SANParks) Kruger National Park CommunicationsContact: Tel: 013 735 4262
GM: Communications & Marketing, Kruger National Park
Tel: 013 735 4363; Cell: 082 807 3919
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Which primate is smarter?
Posted by: DinkyBird on 22nd May 2015
- 'Be a Responsible Tourist' Campaign
Posted by: Lesego on 22nd May 2015
- Addo Cam 22/05/015
Posted by: Shiba on 22nd May 2015