Media Release: West Coast Rock Lobster season closing on 1 April 2013
The current season opened on 15 November 2012. Since the start of 2013, fishing is only allowed on weekends and on public holidays.
The gazetted regulations in terms of the Marine Living Resources Act (Act No. 18 of 1988) for the recreational fishing of West Coast rock lobster includes (among others):
- A bag limit of four per permit holder per day for own use;
- The possession of a recreational rock lobster permit (obtainable at any SA Post Office);
- Recreational permit-holders collecting and landing West Coast rock lobster may do so only between 8am and 4pm. The rock lobsters must be landed by or before 4pm.
- No person shall buy, barter, sell, or offer for sale any rock lobster which is caught with a recreational permit.
The City’s Marine and Environmental Law Enforcement Unit will be conducting joint operations with other agencies in the coming week to ensure compliance with the gazetted regulations. The Unit will cooperate with among others the Table Mountain National Park’s Marine Unit, the SAPS Border Police and the Department Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
“It is critically important for us to protect and conserve our rich marine heritage,” said Alderman JP Smith, Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security.
“The City thanks Capetonians for their cooperation and adherence to the gazetted regulations, and calls on them to report anyone who does not comply with these regulations,” said Alderman Smith.
Members of the public can report suspected non-compliance to the City’s Law Enforcement on 021 596 1999.
Integrated Strategic Communication and Branding Department, City of Cape Town
Alderman J.P. Smith
Mayoral Committee Member: Safety and Security, City of Cape Town
Tel: 021 400 1311 / 083 675 3780;
Environmental Resource Management Department, City of Cape Town
Tel: 021 713 0510 / 082 940 8937
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Karoo Birding Weekend 2015
Posted by: SHR PR & Media on 21st April 2015
- Cricket days and the last nights of Summer
Posted by: spargish on 21st April 2015
- Index : Insects and Other Invertebrates
Posted by: Crested Val on 21st April 2015