- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Please note that you are about to leave the SANParks website (www.sanparks.org) and will be directed to a partner website.
Would you like to continue?
Mapungubwe acquires a restaurant
The lack of catering facilities has long been a restriction for some travellers, discouraging them from visiting Mapungubwe, but pending the official opening of the Mapungubwe Interpretive Centre (voted World Building of the Year at the prestigious World Architecture Festival Awards 2009), South African National Parks are proud to announce the facility now has an operational catering venue and service.
The operating partner is Sefapane Lodge and Safaris who bring 20 years experience in the lodge and safari industry in Limpopo. The Sefapane head office is based at the lodge in Phalaborwa and a Sales & Marketing office has recently been established in Gauteng.
The restaurant currently operates from 07:00 a.m. to 16:00 p.m. There is a comprehensive breakfast and light lunch menu on offer and the restaurant is licensed. In the next few weeks a curio shop, basic supply store, tuck-shop at the Confluence, Bush Breakfasts and Braais (barbecues) are some of the additional services that should become available.
Current Available Meals for individuals, delegates and school groups:
- Breakfast at the main restaurant
- Lunch at the main restaurant
- Take-away dinners if ordered prior to 14:00 p.m.
- The updated menu can be confirmed at email@example.com.
- Current menu available for download here.
Meals Available subject to pre-booking (all with minimum of 4 persons):
- Bush breakfasts and bush braais offered at the Confluence
- Sit down dinners at the facility
- Conference facilities with catering are available. The auditorium can seat 50 delegates or learners, but if delegates wish to stay at the same venue at the park’s largest camp Leokwe, the camp has only 20 bedroom chambers in 18 cottages with 40 beds. This limits the number the conference facility can accommodate and makes the park more suitable to team building and smaller conferences. Additional accommodation is available within the park at other camps, and at external lodges, but separating delegates is seldom ideal.
- Activities combined with meals
- Packaged midweek and weekend tours with meals included are planned to encompass activities such as cultural heritage, birding, botany, photography, mountain biking, wilderness walking trails etc. and will be advertised on set dates. These will be demand driven and rely on a critical minimum number of participants. The park and operator will jointly publish a calendar of events and package tours.
Photo attached: Mapungubwe Interpretive Centre - Baobab tree. Photo by Chris Patton.
Photo attached: Mapungubwe Interpretive Centre - Guided tours. Photo by Chris Patton.
Photo attached: Mapungubwe restaurant. Photo by Mariska van den Brink.
Photo attached: Mapungubwe restaurant. Photo by Mariska van den Brink .
Please note: Activities that include a meal, such as a game drive and bush breakfast should ideally be booked through SANParks Reservations and will only be operated for a minimum of 4 guests, but on-site bookings at the park can be accommodated if vehicles and staff are available.