Media Release: West Coast Rock Lobster season closing on 1 April 2013
The City of Cape Town reminds all Capetonians that the season for recreational fishing of West Coast rock lobster will close on Monday 1 April, 2013 at 16:00 p.m.
The current season opened on 15 November 2012. Since the start of 2013, fishing is only allowed on weekends and on public holidays.
The gazetted regulations in terms of the Marine Living Resources Act (Act No. 18 of 1988) for the recreational fishing of West Coast rock lobster includes (among others):
- A bag limit of four per permit holder per day for own use;
- The possession of a recreational rock lobster permit (obtainable at any SA Post Office);
- Recreational permit-holders collecting and landing West Coast rock lobster may do so only between 8am and 4pm. The rock lobsters must be landed by or before 4pm.
- No person shall buy, barter, sell, or offer for sale any rock lobster which is caught with a recreational permit.
The City’s Marine and Environmental Law Enforcement Unit will be conducting joint operations with other agencies in the coming week to ensure compliance with the gazetted regulations. The Unit will cooperate with among others the Table Mountain National Park’s Marine Unit, the SAPS Border Police and the Department Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
“It is critically important for us to protect and conserve our rich marine heritage,” said Alderman JP Smith, Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security.
“The City thanks Capetonians for their cooperation and adherence to the gazetted regulations, and calls on them to report anyone who does not comply with these regulations,” said Alderman Smith.
Members of the public can report suspected non-compliance to the City’s Law Enforcement on 021 596 1999.
Integrated Strategic Communication and Branding Department, City of Cape Town
Alderman J.P. Smith
Mayoral Committee Member: Safety and Security, City of Cape Town
Tel: 021 400 1311 / 083 675 3780;
Environmental Resource Management Department, City of Cape Town
Tel: 021 713 0510 / 082 940 8937
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Nossob Cam 29/11/2015
Posted by: MATTHYS on 29th November 2015
- How to book with a nice view
Posted by: Elodie on 29th November 2015
- Close encounters with lions, snakes and more (2 SA addicts from Holland)
Posted by: Robbert on 29th November 2015