- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Media & News
Media Release: SANParks announces successful bidders
Date: 28th September 2012
South African National Parks (SANParks) announced the successful bidders for some of its key Restaurant and Retail facilities in National Parks at the country’s premier conservation agency’s head office in Pretoria on 28 September 2012.
South African National Parks in 2000 embarked on its Commercialisation Strategy which aims to enable private operators to become involved in selected commercial operations with the objective of, amongst other, generating revenue whilst improving service levels, BBBEE, creating jobs and contributing to local economic development. SANParks CEO, Dr David Mabunda said “today SANParks has more than forty Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) actively implemented, contributing approximately R65 million per annum for the funding of conservation.” As part of such projects, the Restaurant and Retail opportunities were originally outsourced in 2001 and with these contracts coming to an end, SANParks embarked on a Restaurant and Retail tender process at some of its key National Parks in May 2012.
In compiling SANParks’ requirements for the tender, customer feedback on the facilities was analysed in order to ensure that any concerns from the previous term are addressed. On the retail facilities, guests raised concerns on the freshness of some items as well as price. As such, prominence was given to these aspects and bidders were requested to outline initiatives to address these. The Bidders had to propose a margin across the range of Fast Moving Consumer Goods in order to ensure that our guests receive value for money.
With bids submitted at the end of August 2012, SANParks undertook a comprehensive evaluation of the technical offers received. Technical results were submitted to and approved by the SANParks Board on 26 September 2012. In the interest of transparency and good governance, the financial envelopes were opened in front of the SANParks Chief Executive, a team of senior officials as well as representatives of the bidders and the media. The financial offers were inspected for compliance and the final scores determined.
The successful bidders are:
- Tourvest Holdings (Pty) Ltd for the Retail Facilities for all the camps in the Kruger National Park;
- Tourvest Holdings (Pty) Ltd Retail Facilities for Addo Elephant National Park and Tsitsikamma National Park;
- Astrotail 145CC t/a Quivertree Restaurant and Retail for the Restaurant and Retail Facilities for Augrabies Falls National Parks; and
- Selected Portfolios - Joint Venture Agreement between Leswinene Trading Enterprise AND Select Events & Venues for the Restaurant Facility for the Mopani Camp in the Kruger National Park.
Dr Mabunda said “visitors can look forward to a further improvement in the quality of all products and services on offer in our parks as a result of these strategic alliances. At the same time the improved efficiencies will result in more funds being secured for conservation, ensuring the continued sustainability of our Parks.”
SANParks is in the process of reviewing its Strategic Plan for Commercialisation for the next five years to include the development of a wide range of new PPP projects. SANParks will through public transparent tender processes in line with National Treasury Regulations, engage the participation of strategic alliances for these projects.
For Media queries contact:
Gabrielle “Gabby” Venter
Manager: Media and Stakeholder Relations.
Tel: (012) 426 5065 Cell: 083 825 9435
Annemi van Jaarsveld
General Manager: Business Development Unit.
Tel: (012) 426 5027 Cell: 082 888 1455