- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Media & News
Please note that you will now be routed to a separate web booking portal specific to Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets.
Would you like to continue?
Media Release: Another vet arrested for crimes against rhinos
Date: 21st January 2011
The Chief Executive Officer of South African National Parks (SANParks), Dr David Mabunda, announced at Pretoria today, 21 January 2011, that a Wildlife Veterinarian, Dr Andre Charles Uys, appeared in the Musina Magistrate Court on charges related to illegal rhino activities.
Dr Uys was arrested through the efforts of the National Wildlife Crime Reaction Unit, led by the Hawks. He was charged for the illegal dehorning of 15 rhinos under Section 57 (1) of the National Environment Management: Biodiversity Act No 10 of 2004 – “A person may not carry out a restricted activity involving a specimen of a listed threatened or protected species without a permit issued in terms of Chapter 7”. The wildlife vet is accused of having perpetrated the alleged activity in the Maremani Game Reserve in the Limpopo Province.
He was arrested this morning, appeared in the Musina Magistrate Court and was released on bail of R10,000. The case has been postponed to the 18 March 2011.
Dr Mabunda said that it should be noted that anyone who does anything that is illegal or untoward to South Africa’s wildlife will face the full might of the law.
SANParks Corporate Communications
For Media Interviews contact:
- wanda mkutshulwa, Head of Communications: South African National Parks (SANParks)Tel: (012) 426 5201 / 0829082692; E-mail: email@example.com
- McIntosh Polela, Spokesperson for the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigations (DPCI), Tel: 082 475 1427; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org